VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right fixed this, sort of...

The game boots up and runs the opening video fine (as I have Indeo installed), even though there's an error in the Event Viewer saying "The file could not be processed by the application D:\Games\f199\F199.exe because it requires Indeo® Decoders of type IV32".

If you then exit the video it crashes, and the Event Viewer blames mcicda.dll, which apparently controls the analogue playback of CD music.

So here's how to get the game to work, albeit without CD music...

1. Install full version including video (about 260MB).
2. Download a no-CD executable for the game.
3. Run!

Simple really. There must be a more elegant solution though. If you don't do a full install it'll fall over trying to find the videos (as they're on the CD).

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2015-04-16, 23:35. Edited 1 time in total.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 4, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right I fixed it, see updated first post. Amusingly, even with the no-CD exe, you'll still need the CD in the drive, or the game will crash loading a race!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 4, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this is a windows forum VirtualIceMan but just to throw something out there, most of these games you are having problems with run OOTB with WINE

Reply 4 of 4, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right, that's not quite the point 😁

I could run them well on a retro machine too, or probably even a virtual PC, but the challenge is getting them to work on latest Windows... 😀