VOGONS

Common searches

Fury 3 F!Zone

Topic actions

First post, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fury 3 runs fine on my Vista 32 system but I cannot install the F!Zone add-on package. The installer hangs at the "searching for installed components" screen and must be shut down via Task Manager; I've tried W95, W98, and XP compatibility mode to no avail. Tried copying all the files to a sub-folder of Fury 3 and running install from there ... didn't work.

Reply 3 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd be tempted to suggest it anyway, as it might happen to solve your problem and I doubt it is inherently restricted to 64-bit systems; it's just principally directed to solving a problem with 64-bit systems.

Googling around doesn't seem to suggest that's a solution, though. Some sites suggest it has something to do with the installer trying to search the network. What happens if you disable your network card in Device Manager (the best way to rule that out completely) and then run the installer?

Reply 4 of 11, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the wrapper merely gives me a pop-up that it must be run in x64 architecture.

Disconnecting the network had no effect.

It's odd that Fury 3 itself installs and runs in Vista with no problems but the official add-on won't even get past the initial setup; I wonder if it seeks something in the registry that is different in Vista than W95. (Had a similar problem with the Thief series - Thief 1 and 2 were no problem but 3, though obviously much newer, required registry edits, creating a new folder, and limiting affinity of both exes to one core.)

Reply 5 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jgf wrote:

Well, the wrapper merely gives me a pop-up that it must be run in x64 architecture.

Oh. Oops. 😵

It's odd that Fury 3 itself installs and runs in Vista with no problems but the official add-on won't even get past the initial setup; I wonder if it seeks something in the registry that is different in Vista than W95.

Like I said, there are lots of people out there with similar problems. It appears to be specifically related to the use of Microsoft's ACMSetup.

What if you install the VB6 runtime from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/detai … s.aspx?id=24417 ? That sounds feasible. (It's suggested here.)

Reply 6 of 11, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes there are multiple .EXEs in the install folder which run inside the other. Try setting all of them to Win9x compat. mode.

Reply 7 of 11, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

What if you install the VB6 runtime from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/detai … s.aspx?id=24417 ? That sounds feasible. (It's suggested here.)

Sorry for the absence. I read that info and there is no mention of that being compatible with Vista, only up through XP.

Reply 8 of 11, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Sometimes there are multiple .EXEs in the install folder which run inside the other. Try setting all of them to Win9x compat. mode.

I've tried everything from W95 to XP compatibility. No luck.

FWIW, this is the W95 install folder (there is another for W3.1):

Volume in drive K:\ is Elements
Directory of K:\downloads\PC-Fury3\fury3_fzone\WIN95\

_INST32I.EX_ 300 KB 1/22/1996
_ISDEL.EXE 9 KB 9/7/1995
_SETUP.DLL 11 KB 9/25/1995
_SETUP.LIB 48 KB 3/20/1996
ctl3d32s.dll 27 KB 4/5/2012
DATA.001 489 KB 4/9/1996
DATA.Z 13064 KB 4/19/1996
DISK1.ID 1 KB 5/1/1995
ISDBGN.DLL 127 KB 10/2/1995
SETUP.BMP 81 KB 4/9/1996
SETUP.DBG 2 KB 1/22/1996
SETUP.EXE 47 KB 1/22/1996
SETUP.INI 1 KB 4/9/1996
SETUP.INS 57 KB 4/19/1996
SETUP.PKG 1 KB 4/19/1996
UNINST.EXE 278 KB 1/9/1996

16 file(s)
Total filesize 14532 KB
211.39 GB free

Reply 9 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC the cause can be NTFS hard links in the Windows folder (WinSxS mostly). Had the same trouble with 4x4 Evo patch.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 10 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jgf wrote:

I read that info and there is no mention of that being compatible with Vista, only up through XP.

There's no mention of F!Zone being compatible with Vista either, now is there? 😒 I think it's worth a shot.

If you like, http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/micro … ic_runtime.html says something about Vista.

Reply 11 of 11, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
jgf wrote:

I read that info and there is no mention of that being compatible with Vista, only up through XP.

There's no mention of F!Zone being compatible with Vista either, now is there? 😒 I think it's worth a shot.

If you like, http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/micro … ic_runtime.html says something about Vista.

True. But installing a game that may not be compatible is much less risky than installing system files that may not be compatible. (Though I had to install DX9, supposedly unnecessary in Vista, to get sounds working correctly in some older games.)