VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tomcat Alley, Sega's Mega-CD PC port, uses a 16bit installer, then a 16bit actual application for the game itself! This means it'll never work on 64bit machines, so you'll need a 32bit virtual machine running WinXP or Win98 really for this one.

Just putting the information out there!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:

Someone could make a wrapper, like WinQuake did with Quake.

iD software made that port, and they were able to since they actually had access to the original source code. There's almost a 0% chance anyone would have access to the source code for an old Win3.x-based SEGA game.

Anyway, the whole inability to run 16-bit apps on 64-bit Windows is a pain in the ass. I'm pretty sure Micro$oft could come up with an elegant solution to it, but they just don't want to bother. 😜 I dunno, does anyone want to reverse-engineer 16-bit Windows and make a WINE equivalent for it?

Reply 4 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It works fine on Win98SE on VMware Player. Not so elegant though, as you say. But I have over 40 games that don't work in Win8.1 (over 420 do tho!), so some more may end up virtualised...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 6 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can do, but many may work for some people with just a different Nvidia card than mine, so I need to debug them more first...

Reply 7 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I dunno, does anyone want to reverse-engineer 16-bit Windows and make a WINE equivalent for it?

Someone was already toying with that at Wine as Win31 replacement in DOSBox? [Source link included] .