VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dbd400@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A DOSBOX application: "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess", fails to run over the internet on a ordinary PC provided by the local Elementary School. Insofar as I can tell, the OS appears to be Windows 8.1. The same web site runs successfully from both my home computer under Windows 7, and my friend's computer under Windows 8.1.

At the school, there is no evidence of the DOSBOX initialization which does appear on both of the machines where it runs successfully. The web page appears, and alternates between a menu with "Main Menu", and a Stone Gray background. Superimposed upon the Main Menu is a bullseye with the legend "Click here to begin." Each display holds there for several seconds before being replaced by the other one. Upon clicking on the bullseye (or anywhere) initialization begins, and a sequence of displays, initially bearing the legend "DOSBOX" becomes visible, but only upon the non-school machines.

Since the initial web pages are allowed, I had assumed that there was no problem at the school with blocking access to specified web pages or sites, although I do know that since pages can invoke other pages, one might be able to reach the start of a Portal, but not interior pages. Yet I think that unlikely. It is more likely that some characteristic of how DOSBOX runs is causing a crash of the background processes without taking down the front end.

I have volunteered to mentor the Chess Club at this school and would like to show the children some of the material at that web site. I also am a retired developer with 53+ years of experience, including many machines from mainframes to micros and languages from assembler to Ruby. DOSBOX is new to me. Before contacting the technical staff at the County, I am trying to understand whether there is some characteristic of the way DOSBOX runs or ties in to web pages which might explain the behavior. Yes, I am already considering whether it may be simple as some list which the web page is not on, but I already reach the page. Eventually I must reach the County technical staff, but thought I would start with DOSBOX first.

Many Thanks for your help.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox WebApp? That sounds like something unofficial. The official version of DOSBox does not "run over the Internet", unless you're talking about multiplayer.

You should talk to whoever provided this "WebApp".

Reply 2 of 4, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit:

EM-DOSBOX
https://github.com/dreamlayers/em-dosbox/
Not JSMESS
http://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Javascript_Mess

You need a newer browser
or install the real http://www.dosbox.com & have the game

Reply 3 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed with aqrit. Your tech support is not here but with EM-DOSBOX and the Internet Archive.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Again, tech support for the Internet Archive's DOSBox setup is not here... and I don't want to set a precedent... but I've been told: load the webpage/website in a 32-bit version of the browser in Windows 8.1, that will probably solve your problem for now. Some 64-bit browsers have issues right now.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto