VOGONS

Common searches

V.G. Custom graphics corruption

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lol, yeah. The background image isn't tall enough to reach from the top to the bottom of the windows, even with the parallax and scaling on the PS1 game, so a lot of the graphics go unseen. I cheated and moved part of the image down to fill the lower left window. I think it looks better.

I've actually noticed some problems with the second fix. I was using a new version of Photoshop and must have forgotten to uncheck a setting. I'll add it to this post when I'm done.

Here we go. Basically, there's some slight colour loss in the background because adding the extra details put the image over 256 colours, it's only really noticeable in the light at the top of the screen, and that's pretty much obscured by the health bars and timer. I'd forgotten to turn off anti-aliasing when I did the previous fix, so it had incorrect colours round the edges and more colour loss as it wasted tons of palette entries on various shades of green.

Irritatingly, those faked transparent glows from the lights around the ceiling weren't in the PS1 version, use more colours, and look crap around the windows.

Attachments

• Filename
    Chiho-fix3.zip
    File size
    27.62 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21 of 23, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, my OCD's flaring up now. One last fix for Chiho's stage: I've got rid of the dithering that Photoshop produced (good work GIMP!), and I've given one of the background girls her head back, which the developers chopped off.

Attachments

• Filename
    Chiho-fix4.zip
    File size
    27.56 KiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Silanda on 2016-03-07, 16:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 23, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work, yeah Gimp is cool.

What about super moves? Any idea if the game uses charging bars but they forgot to implement them?
I saw some directories have untouched .pal files, what are they meant for?

Dege wrote:
Except the wrong palettes of some background and the characters. This game does not use paletted bitmaps through DirectDraw at a […]
Show full quote

Except the wrong palettes of some background and the characters.
This game does not use paletted bitmaps through DirectDraw at all but uses 16bit RGB bitmaps so the conversion from paletted bitmaps to RGB has to be done by the game itself (probably through GDI).

I don't understand how this game could work under Win98 because:
- it supplies an invalid argument for one of the surface creation at startup, that's why I can't run it with native DX either (this was one of the 'bugs')
(my only guess is that DDraw of Win9x line slightly differed from the one introduced in WinNT)
- since the bitmap conversion is not done through DDraw it must have been wrong in Win98 too... It didn't matter if I started the game in Win98 compat mode or with forced 256 color desktop.
(my only guess is some incompatibilites between 98/NT GDI's but I can hardly believe that)

*edit*
I found an official patch that fixes a crash with Eririn vs Jun + it's now less picky on startup and it runs on more systems.
It now starts on my legacy machine, and colors are correct with vanilla files.
Using same updated exe with newer pcs leads to usual garbled colors, unless you use Silanda's patch.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 23 of 23, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Myloch wrote:

Nice work, yeah Gimp is cool.

What about super moves? Any idea if the game uses charging bars but they forgot to implement them?
I saw some directories have untouched .pal files, what are they meant for?

I think the graphics for the super bars are there but they aren't used. It seems like supers are activated in this game by having your health drop below 50%. As for the .pal files, I don't know; IIRC from when I was editing, there seemed to be unused palettes even in the files I edited.