VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I have alot of older games on steam, is it possible to move them to my 98 box and get an exe from somewhere else to run the original games?

such as

Quake
Quake II
Hexen
Dark Force II Jedi Knights
Half Life, Opposing Forces, Blue Shift
Heretic
Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast
Return to Castle Wolfenstine

I know my dos games like Doom ect are easy, just copy the game over and ignore the dos box parts, but what about the early windows games. OR do I just have to go ebay shopping

Reply 1 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake 1 and 2: Get the patches that match Steam version, and try unpacking them to get exes and DLLs.

Heretic and Hexen: If CD games don't check protections, maybe using a patch would work.

Half-Life and expansions: I think that data files from CD and Steam are different, so they won't work with standalone exes.

Return to castle... checks for CD, so even if data files are equal and you get a non-steam exe you'll run into troubles.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Heretic and Hexen both have some kind of source ports, don't they? You could use those instead. Same goes for Quake and Quake II, I suppose.

Yes, but source ports may not be as close as original and even source code releases may not be exactly the same as published code (Quake 3 had some licensing problems and audio system is different). Other source ports may need more CPU/GPU/RAM than original games, so I'd try to make the original code work.

Some time ago, I put the Quake DOS exes in the Steam folder and they worked in DOSBox but they lacked music (because Steam version has no soundtrack). As you said, the datafiles of most steam games works with source ports (I used Quake 1 and 3 data ina Raspberry Pi) but there are some exceptions. When Steam released some Lucasarts adventures, the people behind scummvm choose to not support those releases (I don't know if that releases are supported now). Although first releases of Half-Life were the same as the CD ones, they stopped publishing patches for CD versions (so Steam data was more advanced and, I suppose, data files were incompatible with older executables); some time later they changed the data format (to pack it more?) so definitely datas from Half-Life are incompatible.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

When Steam released some Lucasarts adventures, the people behind scummvm choose to not support those releases (I don't know if that releases are supported now).

FYI, there is a tool available that will make the Steam releases compatible with ScummVM, but its existence is not widely publicized.