VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In order to return full frame rate to games, I have been using the ACT fix DXPrimaryEmulation with -DisableMaxWindowedMode as a parameter, as described here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630

However this has issues, most notably any video in games tends to show black (only audio). I've also found that it's causing more bugs/crashes recently (possible Nvidia driver upgrade, I'm not sure).

Anyway, I've swapped most of the games that used the above approach to instead use the ACT fix NoGDIHWAcceleration. However on some games you now see an outside window border (with minimise/close/etc icons in the top-right) around some games. Most of those I've fixed by adding the ACT fix ForceSimpleWindow, however on one game, Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing (by Criterion/Ubisoft), this approach doesn't work. I can swap back to the original DXPrimaryEmulation fix, but the intro screens and opening menu background are black.

I tried using dgVoodoo with the game, but that crashes, as mentioned here.

Are there any other ACT fixes for getting rid of outer Windows borders from games (where they shouldn't be appearing)?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you see the regular Windows borders on them? I see a thin outline in almost all of them, probably due to forced Anisotropic or AA. If you see the regular Windows borders, it could mean that the games fail entering full screen mode. Maybe time to try killing explorer.exe again?

Reply 2 of 12, by -CJF-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been able to solve this problem in some games by creating a custom launcher for the game which removes the window border and windows task bar using AutoHotKey. Below is a sample script I use to fix the problem with BloodRayne. It should be very easy to modify the script for any game of your choice, all you need to do is use AutoIt3 WindowSpy (included with AutoHotKey install) to find the AHKClass name of the window of your game, then change the name and path of the .exe. Note: The script below also has a hotkey (Escape) set up to exit the game quickly, you can just delete the part of the script beginning with #InstallKeybdHook if you don't want that feature. Paste the script into notepad, make your edits, save the script as .ahk extension, right cilck the script and compile it as a .exe file, and click on the .exe to start the game.

Run "C:\GOG Games\BloodRayne\rayne.exe"

WinWait, ahk_class BloodRayne
IfWinExist
{
WinSet, Style, -0xC00000 ; remove the titlebar and border(s)
WinHide,ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd
WinHide,Start ahk_class Button
}

#InstallKeybdHook
#UseHook

esc::

ifWinActive,ahk_class BloodRayne
{
Process, Close, rayne.exe
WinShow,ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd
WinShow,Start ahk_class Button
ExitApp
Return
}

else
Return

Post back and let me know if it works or if you have any problems with the script.

Reply 3 of 12, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use D3DWindower to force it windowed... Then borderless window utilities to resize that window to fullscreen and remove window borders. Borderless Gaming is the most user friendly one.

Got it working at 1600x1200/100hz here. Would say constant 100 FPS, but there's some mildly annoying FPS stuttering.

I've already written down the most common workarounds you should try on Windows 8 first here.

I'm assuming you've tried and just failed to inform us, but for reference: borderless fullscreen by itself (like -CJF- is suggesting) won't work as the performance is horrible. Good suggestion of course.

Reply 5 of 12, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did use Borderless Gaming originally, then the DXPrimaryEmulation fix got rid of borders, but changing to using NoGDIHWAcceleration brings the borders back.

The game rate issue is probably caused by older games on Win8.1 being no higher than 30fps, fixed by the ACT fix above?

I'll have more of a play with it next week, when I'm back from a mini holiday!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 7 of 12, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost looks nice too (for reference: don't do this, high framerates mess up the game's physics):

Edit: sorry, my mistake, borderless window utilities do work. I sometimes forget MSI OSD has performance issues with some games. Would still recommend going with D3DWindower though.

Attachments

• suzuki2.png
    Filename
    suzuki2.png
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • suzuki.png
    Filename
    suzuki.png
    File size
    1.93 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 12, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I fixed it, without D3Dwindower. I noticed that no borders appeared if you combine ACT fixes NoGDIHWAcceleration + ForceSimpleWindow + apply WinXP compatibility mode (although this re-routes the Registry I think, which lost my graphics/keyboard settings in game).

So I dug around some more, and can confirm here's how I got it full screen and full frame rate:

Apply ACT fixes of CustomNCRender, ForceSimpleWindow and NoGDIHWAcceleration, both to SaerPC.exe and SAERPC.ICD (unless you're running a cracked version which doesn't use the protection). Done.

Technically, if you use an uncracked game, with SAERPC.ICD in the game folder, the fixes ONLY seem to need to be applied to that alone (as the SaerPC.exe calls that.

Reply 9 of 12, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 3 ACT fixes above also allow Davliex's US Racer to run without a border.

Reply 11 of 12, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is some weird stuff happening at the moment; I was using the DXPrimaryEmulation fix, or modified DDRAW.dll file, and now that fails on every game I used it on, hence changing to NoGDIHWAcceleration. I wonder if this mess will be improved with Windows 10...?