VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So my next thing I'd like to do is take my GOG library and install it onto my 9x box, which of course can't be done because the GOG installer doesn't support 9x. Is their a way to unpack the installer for windows based games to do this. I already have my dos gog games on my 9x box running in native dos.

Reply 1 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Installing GOG.com Games Windows on 95 98

GOG is a great source for many early Windows games. I did a guide that shows you a few tips and tricks.

But it's not perfect. Many games are hacked, cracked, patched to get going on modern machines. For similar money you can oft buy the game on eBay. But many, many games work well, like Unreal and UT, making it easy to play them without any discs.

What doesn't work yet, is an easy way to copy registry keys from the installer. But in many cases this doesn't seem to make a difference.

For 3dfx games, and I show this in the video, the glide wrapper files need to be deleted if you want to use a real 3dfx Voodoo 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

ty bookmarked that 😁

Let me know what games you're trying to get going and if it worked / didn't work!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The installers are Inno Setup. There are a number of unpackers available. Not only will they extract the files but can extract the script so you can see what registry entries it makes. Note that there are a number of GOG specific keys/values that they make that are irrelevant to the functioning of the game as well as Games Explorer entries, which are useless to 9x. I have used Innounp with good success.

That said, since these games have been made to run on modern Windows I can't say if those alterations will present problems on the machines they were originally intended. Certainly any ACT patches can be ignored.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers