VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FIXED: I just re-installed it from scratch (tried full install with movies) and now it works, even with a Typical (smaller) install. Odd.

---

F1 2001 uses almost the same engine as F1 2002 and F1 Challenge 99-02, yet it refuses to work on my PC, where the newer games work fine.

The F1Config.exe program works fine, detecting my hardware (to some extent), but then when I double-click f12001.exe, nothing really happens (regardless of whether I use the final patches commercial version or a no-CD version).

I've tried monitoring it in Process Monitor, but there's nothing too obvious, it just kills the thread, and later the process, during boot-up.

dgVoodoo doesn't help.

I suspect it might be due to the bink video player, as the game opens with a video, but exchanging the bundled binkw32.dll version (1.1.3.0) with the one from F1 2002 (1.5.1.0) gives this error when running the F1Config.exe file "Entry Point Not Found - The procedure entry point _BinkSetSoundTrack@4 could not be located in the dynamic link library D:\games\F12001\F1Config.exe".

I may play around with some other versions of Bink, but I'm not 100% sure it's that yet.

P.S. The game works fine in a 32bit XP virtual machine running under VMware Player.

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2015-05-19, 23:54. Edited 1 time in total.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried some other Bink versions:
1.0.22.0, 1.1.0.0, 1.2.3.0, 1.2.4.0 = all the same as 1.1.3.0, i.e. F1Config works but nothing happens after the SafeDisc pop-up and CD spinning up

1.2.8.0 = same error message about Entry Point Not Found.

So I still remain unconvinced it's Bink...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 4 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Try just removing all the video files? That should tell you if that's what causes the crash (assuming the game doesn't demand their presence). Or look for options to skip videos...

Unfortunately, even the Development patch 1&2 don't seem to allow you to skip the videos. I think the videos play from CD-ROM too, so aren't included by default with an install, but I can certainly have a play around with it (reinstall full version, for example).

Sammy wrote:

maybe the cd must be in the first drive(letter) ?

I doubt it, as I think I installed it before on D: drive with CD in E:

Reply 5 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FIXED: I just re-installed it from scratch (tried full install with movies) and now it works, even with a Typical (smaller) install. Odd.

Reply 6 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: it seems if you want to see videos you have to do a custom install and choose to install the movies, or they won't play from the CD, which they do with F1 2002. Not a big deal though. Not sure if the game was like that before on XP or not.