VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install MTV skateboarding on my Windows 7 (64-bit) PC but when i try to tun the installer (setup.exe) nothing happens, I can play the game using the directory on the CD, and it works without any problems, but when I do that, I can't save the game, and I want to see the whole game (I don't care what anybody says, I've played every Tony hawk game to death, and want a new challenge!), and seeing as the game has 35+ levels with hard goals in them (at least if the first 3 levels are anything to go by), I don't think I would be able to do it all in one session.

I've tried to use every compatibility mode and running as administrator, but nothing is working for me!

What do I do?

If it helps, here are my specs:
3.20 GHz dual-core CPU (Overclocked to about 4GHz)
350GB HD space (partition of 500GB HDD)
8GB RAM
AMD R9 200 Series GPU

Reply 1 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It sounds like the quick-and-dirty solution would be to just copy the directory on the CD to your hard drive.

Otherwise, try this wrapper.
Re: InstallShield Wrapper

Reply 5 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be clear, does the game's CD even have a file named "setup.exe" ? Or is the installer named something else? It's entirely possible the installer is something completely different that is incompatible with the wrapper, of course.

What happens if you run the game's installer without the wrapper in compatibility mode? (You can do that by right-clicking the installer's .exe, selecting Properties, and then clicking the Compatibility tab.)

Reply 6 of 16, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

To be clear, does the game's CD even have a file named "setup.exe" ?

Yep, although it's in capitals, if that makes a difference... http://prntscr.com/79lv03

Jorpho wrote:

It's entirely possible the installer is something completely different that is incompatible with the wrapper, of course.

What happens if you run the game's installer without the wrapper in compatibility mode?

Nothing happens, except that the task managers shows an instance running, but it isn't doing anything...

Reply 8 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Given how you have file extensions hidden that "SETUP" could be "SETUP.BAT" instead of "SETUP.EXE". Rather a bad idea to have extensions hidden.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Given how you have file extensions hidden that "SETUP" could be "SETUP.BAT" instead of "SETUP.EXE".

In that case its file type would be "Windows Batch File" and not "Application".

Come to think of it, a more interesting question is, why are there three files with a size of more than 694 MB? That's way over the capacity of a CD. Maybe the disc is bad?

Reply 10 of 16, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Given how you have file extensions hidden that "SETUP" could be "SETUP.BAT" instead of "SETUP.EXE".

It's an exe, I just checked.

Jorpho wrote:

Come to think of it, a more interesting question is, why are there three files with a size of more than 694 MB? That's way over the capacity of a CD. Maybe the disc is bad?

Oh yeah, I just noticed that as well, strange...

Well, Good-ish news is that I found that copying the game itself to my HDD and it saves my game. I'd rather have it installed on my PC, though, I don't like having folders just lying around my HDD, I like things to be organised.

I tried the CD on my Linux partition and it installed perfectly! So it works, it just won't on Windows 7 for some reason...

Reply 11 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have anything running in the background that could affect access to your CD-ROM drive? Perhaps you installed some CD-ripping tool at one point? (I might suspect a "filter" problem, but I haven't heard of anything like that in Windows 7 in a long time.)

Reply 12 of 16, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had Virtual Clone Drive installed, which is a virtual drive, so I tried uninstalling that, but no joy...

To make things worse, now I have 2 other games that are giving me the exact same problem! Daikatana and Colin MaRae Rally (Both "Sold Out" editions), both won't do anything when I try to install them, they simply do nothing... Why isn't my Windows 7 installing any game anymore? I have plenty of space!

Reply 13 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps a virus scanner? Or some kind of exotic backup program?

This is the filter problem fix I was referring to:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ … sbs.htm#showall

Rather than making edits to the registry directly, it might be best to Google for anything listed in the relevant keys first.

Reply 14 of 16, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Perhaps a virus scanner? Or some kind of exotic backup program?

I have Comodo installed, and I tried temporarily disabling that, but I got the same result. Also, I don't have any backup programs other than the windows one built in, unless cloud storage program count?

Jorpho wrote:

This is the filter problem fix I was referring to:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ … sbs.htm#showall

Rather than making edits to the registry directly, it might be best to Google for anything listed in the relevant keys first.

That looks way too complex for me... 😲
I usually don't like messing around with the registries, for obvious reasons...

Reply 15 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really now, it's no more difficult than browsing to a file in Explorer.

There's an automated "fix-it" available at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/cd_d … _drive_problems that I think accomplishes the same thing, but it would be much more informative to have a look before resorting to that.

Reply 16 of 16, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh right, you're thinking that there may be something wrong with the windows disc driver, right? Well, if it means anything, I tried to install a more modern game: Batman Arkham Asylum (GOTY) and it had no troubles installing... Although that was on a DVD, as opposed to a CD...

Well, I tried the fix it thing, and it detected no problems...