VOGONS

First post, by Blades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy

I have myself an older Windows 98se machine.
400 p2
512 ram
Mattox mystique with 8meg
Etc..

Anyways everything runs fine however it seems on mechwarrior it likes to lock in the screen resolution at 640x400 which 4 out of my 5 flat panel monitors will not support. Just says "resolution not supported. The fifth one that kind of does show something will have a banner saying "this resolution not supported bouncing around(with no way to get rid of it)" while you can clearly see the game playing. My question is that it doesn't do it on ALL mystique games. But just a few. Others it will run in flat panel friendlier solutions.

Basically is this game resolution adjustable somehow? Or is it not just going to be friendly with flat panel monitors? (no I don't want to go the 3dfx route I like the mystique version of mech warrior) any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use PowerStrip to force the game to run in another horizontal refresh rate which might work on your flatscreen. The resolution itself can't be changed.

I btw had no problems on my Samsung LCD screens, but I used the refresh trick when capturing on my Avermedia.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 6, by Blades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i will give it a try. the game loads up just fine, but when you go into and launch the actual mission and the resolution switches to 640x400 all but one flat screen comes up as unsupported resolution(you can hear the game just fine). And the one monitor that does work, the screen is mega squashed with a logo saying the resolution is unsupported (the monitor menu sayingnthat not windows) and will eventually put the monitor in sleep mode. But i will try powerstrip and see if that will help. Thanks again for the reply!

Reply 3 of 6, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very old thread but I'm trying to do the same - it's coming up at 640x480 I think, but it's 85Hz which no LCD panels (or any of my VGA-HDMI converters) can cope with. I'll give PowerStrip a go.

Edit - can't seem to get PowerStrip to make any difference 🙁

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 4 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For old hardware ask in Marvin. This forum is for Windows games on modern systems.

Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 6, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For anyone that might run into this same problem. I was seeing the following through an OSSC and an HP LCD. I installed PowerStrip as suggested and then added 640x400@60hz as a custom resolution. A pic of this is attached as well. It’s working well now.

Attachments