VOGONS

Common searches

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire 2nd Edition

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by robvandam111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been awhile I haven't played this game. Used to play it on a Windows 2000 GateWay computer back in the day. I'm hoping there's some light into this as I'm currently trying to install this game. When I'm clicking on the icon to start playing; I keep getting "Unable to use DirectShow", read that the game is then obsolete...which is what I don't want 🙁

I was wondering the samething as I'm planning getting some old CD-ROM games such as A Bug's Life/ Tarzan Activity Center and Carmen San Diego Word Game. Just to bring back some memories into this present time.

What can you guys tell me?

Reply 2 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

probably the easiest thing to do if you are running a windows 7 system is the xp emulation mode. Dosbox is for games a bit older than what you mentioned.

I would try this here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/i … de-in-windows-7

its pretty much that, or building some sort of old machine to do the job.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That won't do any good. The millionaire games also have problems running under XP, Regis himself cutting out or corrupting and sometimes the game itself freezing since Regis can't start reading some questions first.

I think the best way to run this game is either through Virtual PC with a Win98 guest, or an actual Win98 machine.

(assuming you are running the US Disney/Jellyvision Millionaire release and not the british ones which are far more stable, different engine/developer etc.)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robvandam111 wrote:

What's a Virtual PC?

I'm really hoping I can get this game working again. It's installed and everything. Clicked on the icon to start and it says "Unable to use Direct Show" and I also did the capability thing still nothing.

Ever see the movie Inception? A virtural pc is kinda like that. literally a copy of windows 98 (in this case) running inside 7. The link i gave you earlier has instructions to setup Microsofts XP pc. However if you are going to use 98 then i would suggest using VirturalBox from Sun. It can be downloaded here: https://www.virtualbox.org

Setup is identical to a real pc, so you will need a copy of windows 98 for this to work.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 13, by robvandam111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:
robvandam111 wrote:

What's a Virtual PC?

I'm really hoping I can get this game working again. It's installed and everything. Clicked on the icon to start and it says "Unable to use Direct Show" and I also did the capability thing still nothing.

Ever see the movie Inception? A virtural pc is kinda like that. literally a copy of windows 98 (in this case) running inside 7. The link i gave you earlier has instructions to setup Microsofts XP pc. However if you are going to use 98 then i would suggest using VirturalBox from Sun. It can be downloaded here: https://www.virtualbox.org

Setup is identical to a real pc, so you will need a copy of windows 98 for this to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBMVWInh1pw

I just finished watching the beginning of this video and notice this guy was using the dosbox? I believe that's what's called and went to the website clicked on forums and I'm here again 🤣. I'm guessing if I get that the game will work. I'm kind of scared getting this dosbox, will it mess up my computer for just learning playing around with it or could I just download this thing and playing millionaire directly?

Reply 10 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are many, many guides out there that will tell you how to install Windows 98 in a virtual machine. Just do a Google search for <windows 98 in a virtual machine>. Here's one. Some places will even provide you with a ready-made Windows 98 virtual machine so you won't have to install Windows 98 yourself, but of course such downloads are illegal.

Don't use DOSBox to run Windows 98. Just don't. If you find a guide suggesting otherwise, then find a different guide.

Reply 11 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The whole point of a emulator or a VM is to try things without messing up your host. Go crazy and do whatever you want (inside the VM) just don't expect us to offer any help if you want to run 9x in DOSBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 13, by Jez2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to get it to work... well the British version anyway.
I simply replaced the exe with a no-cd version from gamecopyworld (there doesn't appear to be one for the American version).
The only problem is that answers B and D (both on the right) don't display correctly. They are slightly to the left, outside of the black hexagons.

Why don't you recommend DOSBox? GOG packages most of their old games with it. Its the easiest way (and perhaps the only way) to make Carmageddon work on Windows 7. It pretty much makes any DOS game run on 64bit Windows with little effort.

Reply 13 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please don't reply to old threads.

The post saying DOSBox isn't recommended was because the prior poster was wanting to run 9x in DOSBox. This isn't supported.

Closed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline