VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently noticed a strange behavior of DX8 games on my laptop - there is a visible stuttering every few seconds. I have no idea what causes this, and this didn't happen on my laptop in the past. The only things I did was update Intel and Nvidia drivers, and a month ago or so I temporarily upgraded my OS to Windows 10 (but after one day I reverted it back to 8.1).

So far I've noticed this problem in these games:
- Need for Speed III with VEG's widescreen patch (only in DX8 mode, DX5 works fine)
- Motor City Online (only when running in full screen, windowed mode works fine)
- Street Legal Racing Redline
- Cross Racing Championship Extreme

The funny thing is, when I ran NFS3 with Intel GPU, the stuttering was gone!

My laptop specs: i7, Intel HD 4600 + GT755M, 8 GB RAM, Win 8.1 x64.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I changed the title of this thread, as I noticed the problem also occurs in some DX9 games.

Last edited by tgomola on 2015-05-29, 10:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just tried that. It doesn't eliminate the problem completely, though now the stuttering is much less frequent in NFS3 and SLRR. In Motor City Online, however, there's no improvement.

EDIT: I've also noticed some stuttering (though on much lesser scale) in NFS Most Wanted (2005). That's strange, considering that some newer games (like NFS Most Wanted 2012, NFS Rivals, Just Cause 2, Shift 2 Unleashed) don't have this problem at all.

Reply 3 of 11, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe bad optimized drivers from Nvidia in terms of DX8 support.
You could try ENB's DX8>DX9 converter, though this might cause games to crash and if it does work it does strain the system more so they may stutter even more.

http://enbdev.com/download_convertor_dx8todx9.htm

Reply 4 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed some stuttering even in newest games (e.g. DIRT Rally) with my 980 at 144hz 2560x1440. Dropping to 60hz makes it much better. It's odd, as I run GSYNC too, so not sure sitter should happen much!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 5 of 11, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome to the club.

I've had this happen to me with other pre-DX9 games such as "Carmageddon II", "Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption" and "Severance: Blade of Darkness".

There appears to be no fix other than going to back to Win9x (I'd dual boot with both XP and ME, and running it from ME solved it, so it certainly isn't a hardware issue)

Something else I noticed, particularly in BOD; if you launched a game, started a level, closed the game (so that it goes back to desktop) and launched the game again, most of the stuttering would be gone. Perhaps it's an issue related to inappropriate handling of video memory.

Whatever it is, I tried everything under the sun and it just wouldn't go away.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 10 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your game is pre DX8 then you should use Application Compatibility Toolkit "NoGDIHWAcceleration" option against the game .exe to get >30fps.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 11 of 11, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

If your game is pre DX8 then you should use Application Compatibility Toolkit "NoGDIHWAcceleration" option against the game .exe to get >30fps.

I know that. The games I have problem with are not DX1-7, they are DX8-9. There is no observable FPS limit, just a heavy stuttering. Anyway, the problem is already fixed by changing max number of pre-rendered frames. However, if anyone has a better idea, I'll be glad to know it 😀