VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 40, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

So far I tried renaming winm0 to winmm with no success, and have tried various other versions that are supposed to work with Win10. I'd be keen to know how ZellSF got the Shadows Of The Empire winmm implementation to work for other games, as he mentions above, but I'm not sure he visits these parts so often...

If I did need to edit an executable to search for winm0 instead of winmm, what sort of program might you advise would be useful?

Any old hex editor should do. I favor XVI32, personally.

Reply 22 of 40, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try the attached files, just rename winmm_mciclose.dll or winmm_nomciclose.dll to winmm.dll and put a music folder with the tracks in track01.ogg, track02.ogg format.

It's this compiled:
https://github.com/rkkoszewski/ogg-winmm/

Attachments

• Filename
    winmm.rar
    File size
    136.15 KiB
    Downloads
    5499 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Try the attached files, just rename winmm_mciclose.dll or winmm_nomciclose.dll to winmm.dll and put a music folder with the tracks in track01.ogg, track02.ogg format.

It's this compiled:

Should tracks begin with track01.ogg? I thought it was track02 onwards (as 01 = data track on CD originally)?

Thanks for getting back to me, it's been driving me a bit mad that it works for SOTE but nothing else!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 25 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure you'd need this fix for Win9x, as it's solving the inability of new Windows to talk to the CD-ROM drive. If the games were programmed for Win9x they should work?

MotoRacer I "upgraded" my copy to the re-released one (so I could get the 15th anniversary game bundled in), but that had flaws which only the GOG release really fixed. GOG do use this sort of approach to wrapper CD audio calls to .ogg files.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 26 of 40, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to play the game with CD-Music but not with the CD in the drive.
I own the original but "mounting" a CD-Image with "Deamon-Tools" does not work.
I can't hear the music. So the other idea was, ripping the tracks and configuring the game to play mp3's /ogg's or whatever.
I do not own the GOG release, but I own the 15th anniversary edition. The 15th av-ed. does not work with Win9x anymore.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 27 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe something mentioned here? Alternative to _INMM.DLL for Windows 98?

Reply 28 of 40, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's interesting thx! I did not know that there are different drivers (wdm/vxd) ? I alway upgraded the standard win98se drivers with the sb-updatet win9x drivers.
I don't know if they are WDM or VXD drivers. All I know is, I can't hear CD-Audio Tracks in Win9x with mounted Images. Original CD's just do fine.
I don't know if playing CD-Audio is implemented as a standard, so that a fix with ogg/mp3 can possibly work for all titles and not especiall for each game with modifying the game-code.

I think I should read the linked pages carefully, perhaps I get it.

Reply 29 of 40, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

A hex editor?

Yes? That is the standard nomenclature for a tool used to make arbitrary edits to binary files such as executables.

You probably wouldn't want to use a text editor, since a lot of binary data has no text equivalent and some text editors might end up stripping out data that they can't understand.

Reply 30 of 40, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
collector wrote:

A hex editor?

Yes? That is the standard nomenclature for a tool used to make arbitrary edits to binary files such as executables.

You probably wouldn't want to use a text editor, since a lot of binary data has no text equivalent and some text editors might end up stripping out data that they can't understand.

Obviously. Sarcasm does not convey well over the internet.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 31 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Obviously. Sarcasm does not convey well over the internet.

Obviously. In real life, I used to be a bit sarcastic at times, too (in a cheerily, humorous way).
But most people, except my family, got it the wrong way. They thought it was cynical. Ouch.
So yeah, the world needs a new smileycon for that - one that looks like Garfield. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 32 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

It's this compiled:

Thanks for these! The winmm_nomciclose.dll version works for all 4 games! It even replicates the actual bug in Mad Trax where only 3 of the 4 tracks get played, and the first one is played twice, when you use the next track/previous track feature on the pause menu!

Tracks do need to be named from track02.ogg though (although in Mad Trax, naming them from track01.ogg allows all 4 tracks to be played in the pause menu; bad programming in the original game!).

Reply 33 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if that rewrite of the winmm.dll could ever be used to redirect CD audio to play from the disc, as it was originally? The fix for Sentinel Returns earlier (http://www.old-games.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=51778) replaced the game exe with a patched one that called MCI differently, so that _inmm.dll could be put in the game folder and the CD audio would play from disc.

Just a thought, for those who use CDs to store CD music still! The .ogg fix is ideal for portable/no-CD versions of games (and archiving, as CDs may degrade).

Reply 34 of 40, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

patched one that called MCI differently, so that _inmm.dll could be put in the game folder and the CD audio would play from disc.

The patch just replaces the winmm.dll string in the .exe to the _inmm.dll one.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 35 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah of course, sounds simple! I might have to look into that option, out of interest.

Reply 36 of 40, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a new retro-machine equipped with Celeron300 and Win95b, so no WDM-Drivers available.
So I need to try another fix for the missing audio. I will try to rip my Motoracer1 AudioTracks to OGG.
And check out the winmm.dll you mentioned above. Hopefully this will do je Job.
There are lot's of Games with CD-Audio, it would be a really big Deal, if this works on many other Games too.

Reply 37 of 40, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mcicda.drv is also referenced in system.ini

[mci]
cdaudio=mcicda.drv
sequencer=mciseq.drv
waveaudio=mciwave.drv
avivideo=mciavi.drv
videodisc=mcipionr.drv
vcr=mcivisca.drv

the driver for cd audio in XP is redbook.sys.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 38 of 40, by s997863

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:
That's interesting thx! I did not know that there are different drivers (wdm/vxd) ? I alway upgraded the standard win98se driver […]
Show full quote

That's interesting thx! I did not know that there are different drivers (wdm/vxd) ? I alway upgraded the standard win98se drivers with the sb-updatet win9x drivers.
I don't know if they are WDM or VXD drivers. All I know is, I can't hear CD-Audio Tracks in Win9x with mounted Images. Original CD's just do fine.
I don't know if playing CD-Audio is implemented as a standard, so that a fix with ogg/mp3 can possibly work for all titles and not especiall for each game with modifying the game-code.

I think I should read the linked pages carefully, perhaps I get it.

Try swapping your cd drive letters so that the image drive comes first. Re-install the game from image and see if this works.

I remember quake-2 and some other games that wouldn't play cd audio unless the cd was in the first drive. e.g. If I had cd drives with letters D & E & F ... etc., then I must install & play the game from drive D, regardless whether it's a real CD or virtual image drive.

Reply 39 of 40, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am sure that this is not the point here, because the cd-audio from the mounted daemon-tools cd-image plays on desktop while running the game,
but it's instantly muted if I go back to the game. I think it has to do with the parallel features of DX/Windows/Soundcard-Mixer.
I can tell you that it's working fine with Win2k and WDM Driver.