VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Sound Blaster Live! Value, which has problems working on my Win98SE computer. Everything else works fabulously except the damn sound. When I insert a pair of headphones in to the jack on the sound card I can hear sound but when I take plug the headphone cord off the bloody sound stops. 😈

I dont know understand what the issue could be. I tried removing the sound card from the sound, video and game controllers menu so I could install it again. I installed new drivers from the Creative website. I was messing around with the settings for at least 3 hours probably even more. None of these things worked!

Reply 1 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So your problem is that when there is nothing connected to the audio jack, there is no sound?

What is wrong with it? Where do you expect sound to come from if nothing is connected?

And what does Ultimate Doom have to do with it, since it looks like your claim is generic?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 4, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If there's nothing in the jack then you won't get audio, the card doesn't have built in speakers.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 3 of 4, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I got it to work with speakers. Every PC I ever used had sound working without having speakers plugged in so I figured why would this one not working since I could hear the start up bleeps and occasional sounds while using Win98SE. So I thought the issue was with Doom itself. 😵

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For future reference, this forum is for getting old Windows games working on new hardware and operating systems. 😀

I'm not sure that we have a forum for old Windows games support on old hardware and old versions of Windows. Perhaps Milliways or Marvin.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto