VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Atlantis 2 in Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 95 VM -- Skipping Music problem.

Previously I tried the GOG version (setup_beyond_atlantis_2.0.0.10.exe) of Atlantis 2 in Windows 7 x64, but I had so many problems with it (transitions and cut scenes were skipped, mouse cursor was sluggish and jerky in the game menu -- and worse yet, the game wouldn't start at all after the first playing session, no matter which compatibility mode I chose). So I gave up on the GOG version and decided to play it in Virtual PC using my old Atlantis 2 DVD.

Almost everything works in Virtual PC (freshly made Windows 98SE VM) except the music skips. I tried reducing audio acceleration through the Win 98 dxdiag (rebooted Win98 afterwards), but this had no effect on the skipping. I'm using a disc image of the Atlantis 2 DVD that I made using imgburn.

Would this be a computer speed problem or a Windows 98 driver problem? Virtual PC emulates an SB16, and I'm using the default drivers that installed with Windows 98SE. Would using SB16 drivers from the Creative website help reduce skipping, or is this more a matter of imperfect SB16 emulation in Virtual PC or excessive computer speed?

The computer I'm using has these specs

Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB = 8192 MB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 1.25 GB Video RAM

Except for the CPU speed, most of that is probably irrelevant for anything running in Virtual PC.

Reply 2 of 5, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you bought it from GoG, you should contact their customer support.

No problem with you asking here of course. Just saying that GoG are obligated to help or refund you and I sort of wish more people would hold them to that.

Reply 3 of 5, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:

Have you tried using dgVoodoo 2 on it in Windows 7?

The game wasn't made for 3dfx, only DirectX 6.
Does dgVoodoo 2 do something that helps even with non-3dfx games?

About running in Windows 7 x64 natively...
Best I can figure out, there's some background process on my computer that occasionally starts up and interferes with the game.
If that's the problem, it isn't really GOG's fault.

There are threads about the black screen problem at GOG forums, such as
http://www.gog.com/forum/atlantis_series/atla … launch_win7_x64
and
http://www.gog.com/forum/atlantis_series/summ … _atlantis_games

It seems that what helps on one computer often doesn't help on another.
Some people recommend Windows 98 compatibility mode, but the game never started on my computer using Windows 98 compatibility -- only Windows XP compatibility -- and when I used XP compatibility the cut scenes didn't work, making it confusing what had just happened in the game.

Reply 4 of 5, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skitters wrote:
The game wasn't made for 3dfx, only DirectX 6. Does dgVoodoo 2 do something that helps even with non-3dfx games? […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

Have you tried using dgVoodoo 2 on it in Windows 7?

The game wasn't made for 3dfx, only DirectX 6.
Does dgVoodoo 2 do something that helps even with non-3dfx games?

About running in Windows 7 x64 natively...
Best I can figure out, there's some background process on my computer that occasionally starts up and interferes with the game.
If that's the problem, it isn't really GOG's fault.

There are threads about the black screen problem at GOG forums, such as
http://www.gog.com/forum/atlantis_series/atla … launch_win7_x64
and
http://www.gog.com/forum/atlantis_series/summ … _atlantis_games

It seems that what helps on one computer often doesn't help on another.
Some people recommend Windows 98 compatibility mode, but the game never started on my computer using Windows 98 compatibility -- only Windows XP compatibility -- and when I used XP compatibility the cut scenes didn't work, making it confusing what had just happened in the game.

dgVoodoo 2 has a DirectX 1-7 wrapper also.