VOGONS

GLQuake Resolution Issue

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just installed Quake 1.09 on my system, followed by GLQuake 0.97.

I'm running Win98SE on a 466MHz Celeron / 128MB RAM / Voodoo 3 AGP, and SB AWE64 Gold.

GLQuake runs just fine at default settings. I want to test different resolutions. I can get it to 800x600 by adding -width 800 -height 600 to the command line PIF. However, GLQuake fails to run with any higher resolution (such as 1024x768).

The game crashes, and I get this error: "Could not initialize GL (wglCreateContext failed).

I am using 16-bit color and even tried adding the -window option, but there's no difference. Any help appreciated!

Last edited by boxpressed on 2015-06-10, 14:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Send me a PM as a reminder please. When I get home I can send you my Quake benchmark folder with shortcuts for all the resolutions (512 x something up to 1600 x 200).

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 16, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shoot. I put in the specs for my main retro computer. I'll edit the first post in a sec. Here is the system I'm using for Glide:

Win98SE / 466 MHz Celeron / Voodoo 3 AGP / 192MB / SB AWE64 Gold

Still having this problem.

Reply 5 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, don't use the included opengl32.dll with GLQuake with Voodoo3. That's a reaaaaally early MiniGL intended for Voodoo1. Delete it to use the system ICD or you could grab a newer MiniGL that may support the V3's wide amount of resolutions

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 16, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Yeah, don't use the included opengl32.dll with GLQuake with Voodoo3. That's a reaaaaally early MiniGL intended for Voodoo1. Delete it to use the system ICD or you could grab a newer MiniGL that may support the V3's wide amount of resolutions

That was the problem! I'm glad the solution was so simple. I just renamed opengl.dll to opengl.old.

I'm now running GLQuake at 1600x1200 (16 bpp) with a 30.9 framerate on this modest system. I understand that GLQuake has its critics, but I really like the look of it. I never played it before, so it is like a brand new game to me.

Reply 7 of 16, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

All the 3dfx MiniGL's are also on VOGONSDrivers 😁
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=12

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 16, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I downloaded 1.49 for my V3 (hope that was the right one).

The old MiniGL that would not do higher resolutions is 1.1.

Some more questions:

1. Once I renamed it to opengl.old, I assumed that GLQuake would use the opengl.dll in Windows/System. Is this correct?
2. The version in Windows/System must have come from Quake 2 or another game on my system. It is version 4.0. Is this different from a MiniGL (is it full-blown OpenGL)?
3. Is it always better to use the MiniGL (when available) over the full-blown OpenGL?
4. Will Quake look for opengl.dll in its own directory first before going to Windows/System?

Thanks again to all for the help,

Reply 9 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Yes.
2. Voodoo3 officially has an OpenGL ICD of its own in Windows/System. It does not come from Quake2 (that's just another MiniGL for V1/V2)
3. There's cases where the MiniGL is faster on slower CPUs due to less overhead than the full ICD as well as specialized optimizations (like those 3dnow! variants for example) however for all intents and purposes it should only be used with id Tech 2 and Goldsrc games. Also it may be handy that some MiniGLs force the gamma correction level up to 1.7 as the games they are for don't have proper functioning brightness controls.
4. Yes. This is general behavior of many games in fact. It's rare to find one that doesn't (like MDK2)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 16, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
I am having issue with changing the resolution, while using the GLQuake (v. 0.95). I am using a Creative Labs Monster 3DII Voodoo2 card with the default drivers.

When trying to change the resolution, the game says:
Video Modes must be set from the command line with -width (width) and -bpp (pits-per-pixel)

When I add these lines to my PIF shortcut icon: -width 800 height 600 -32, I get an "Illegal Operation" error message: GlQuake caused a stack fault in module GLQAUKE.EXE at 017f:0043634d.

Please help!

PIII-800E
768 SD-133
Abit BH-6 Mobo

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 13 of 16, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update

I just patched the game to GLQuake v.097, and the command line work properly!

(although I still love the pixallated (and un-washed out color theme) of the vanilla version!)

Question:
Is there anyway to make the mouselook *automatic* (ie.: like modern FPS games, that it is on by default), as with the latest v.1.09 WinQuake (original CD) running on my Win98SE PIII system, I have to press the mouse wheel in order to *activate* mouselook option.

Thanks!

Edit:
Found the answer!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filede … s/?id=118773632

I suggest to set in id1/autoexec.cfg
+mlook
v_centermove 10
sv_aim 1

v_centermove = avoids auto-centering when moving forward/backward
sv_aim 1 = no auto-aim help

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 14 of 16, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello...

It's a little bit old topic.. but I encounter similar problems with glquake. The -width -height and -bpp command line only makes it until 1024x768x32... The max res is 1600x1200. It is also shown in the options menu in quake. But every time I try this I get an error. It says: could not initialize GL. wglCreateContext failed.
I have the newest glquake 0.97 and I believe a new minigl (1.49). I am using nglide 2.10 with a Firegl X3.

Edit:
In the meantime I tried a 9800xt... But that was almost as bad.. so back to the x3... from what I can see, image quality improves when I set a certain resolution in nglide configuration. But the hud doesn't seem to change with another res... I have less experiences with glquake - does it have to be that way?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 15 of 16, by TOOL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote on 2015-06-10, 05:07:

Send me a PM as a reminder please. When I get home I can send you my Quake benchmark folder with shortcuts for all the resolutions (512 x something up to 1600 x 200).

Can you make it public download or can you dm me?
thanks
p.s. kudos for making that dos menu 😉