Common searches

Steam Killed My XP Install

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds more like a recent change. It's good too because the Steam validation got in the way of content pipeline testing as well as that horrible gcf system.

I'll also confess, because I have to, that Steam ruined 0 of my Windows installations in the past 11 years. Also I preloaded HL2 before owning it retail, the only headache to overcome was the decryption process. I joined in 2004 when WON shut down, holding on with the "Steam suck's!!" bandwagon which didn't last long. Also for the record, I hated Half-Life 2 then and I still hate it now. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 22 of 30, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

I used the installer on the Steam website and loaded the latest version. It did the same thing! Steam would load, then the computer would reboot.

This time, I disabled the Steam startup in Safe Mode. Then, I went ahead and installed SP3 just for kicks. If there was no change, I'd reimage again.

This time it worked. So, for whatever reason, my system needs some fix from SP3 or Steam will begin a loop of reboots.

Steam is kept up to date for security reasons, just like web browsers and other applications - it relies on "latest updates" (to an extent) as a result. It will also want updates for Visual C++, .NET Framework, etc for many games and extensions (it will automatically find and install these as required). What's most likely is that Steam was not "beginning a loop of reboots" but instead Windows was/is configured to restart on crash, and Steam is crashing on start-up (and that then loops).

I went ahead and loaded HL2 and the other games from the DVD. However, when I tried to run them, Steam wanted me to download and install it rather than running the version off the DVD.

Because the version off the DVD, especially if it's from 2004, is massively outdated. Half-Life 2 has received *significant* updates since then. That's why it wants to download content. You can disable updates for the game, however I'm not sure why you'd want to. The machine will require a connection to the Internet periodically (I forget if it's every 10 or 30 days) to "sync" with Steam, even if you run it offline mode; just something else to note.

Obviously, I'm behind the curve with the state of DRM, but what I don't really understand is why even have a DVD-ROM at all? If Steam will only allow you to run the version on its servers, why even have retail packaging? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Many games that require Steam are released on DVD, especially older games; multi-GIGABYTE downloads in 2004 weren't usually something that people's Internet connections could handle quickly. Same reasoning still applies today with Steam and Origin games being sold on DVD (as game sizes have grown dramatically over the years) - it will load as many of the resources as it can from the DVDs (IME Origin handles this more elegantly), but the platform will provide patches and updates for the game automatically (can be disabled). Alternately you can just buy the game digitally. Alternately #2 you don't need the DVD if you're fine waiting on the download, as the game is registered to your Steam account (the physical media becomes largely unnecessary, except to save bandwidth/time vs large downloads - once you activate the game on Steam, its your account's forever). Once everything is installed, the discs are not required for play either (same goes for Origin).

VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I think Steam updated Half Life 1 and possibly 2 a fair few times (as I've had numerous updates over the years). Hopefully none of them made it less compatible with XP?

Half-Life 2 has received *significant* updates as Source engine has grown/been updated - between launch and today they've added everything from HDR to Oculus VR support and everything in-between. Many of these updates will implement features that older computers won't support, or won't support with good performance, but afaik you can still drop the game into DX7/8 renderpath and run it on your GeForce 4 Ti at 800x600 just like 2004, if you're yearning for that slice of nostalgia.

Reply 25 of 30, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Steam is kept up to date for security reasons, just like web browsers and other applications - it relies on "latest updates" (to an extent) as a result. It will also want updates for Visual C++, .NET Framework, etc for many games and extensions (it will automatically find and install these as required). What's most likely is that Steam was not "beginning a loop of reboots" but instead Windows was/is configured to restart on crash, and Steam is crashing on start-up (and that then loops).

Sure, I should have said that it was beginning a string of infinite reboots because Steam could not load correctly.

Reply 29 of 30, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was under the impression that the Source engine removed DirectX 7 support completely. I also didn't even think the older versions will qualify on Steam without an update. I miss fiddling with DX7 mode, though.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 30 of 30, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mirh wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

Why?

Cause Aureal.

Ah, I remember there being a thread here on Vogons about that for Counter-Strike. As far as I know my box set for Half-Life/Counter-Strike/etc predates that "upgrade" but I don't have an Aureal soundcard to test with. When I get the machine with Half-Life setup again I can check, but I do vaguely remember it offered both A3D and EAX (it has an Audigy in it, so I'd assume it should probably support both as well).

leileilol wrote:

I wasn't aware there was still A3D support in the older Steam version. I assumed they took all that out already by then.

From what I remember of the thread here on Vogons, it was available in the early Steam version of Counter-Strike (and other games), and was removed more recently as Valve started migrating their games to OS X and Linux. I forget what their exact rationale was for removing long-standing features from the Windows releases of games.