VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What processor and graphics card are a good match for this game?

It's a bit slow on my Windows 98 machine.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Period correctly, A P2 450 with a TNT and/or a Voodoo2/Voodoo Banshee will cut it. Unfortunately out of the box, NFS3 is insanely picky of what video cards it can run with.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 25, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I might be having a config issue. The game looks like software render.

CPU is a K6-III+ 400 MHz. Had a Matrox G400, but that card gave me issues with other games, so I will try with a V3 now.

Reply 6 of 25, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok it's working now!

On the CD was a patch for the V3. Followed the instructions (copying 2 files over), set the render to V3 and now it's working well.

A faster CPU is likely needed, but it runs ok.

Reply 8 of 25, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Voodoo 3 and Pentium 3>500MHz will get you out of the slow, 30fps territory I believe. What CPU are you running at the moment?

K6-III+ 400 MHz.

Reply 9 of 25, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to run it on an AMD K2-500 or was it a 550.... hhmmm or overklocked.... hmmmm I don't remember. But I used a TNT 2 ( I think is was a Viper 770 TNT 2), but I don't remember how much ram it had, must be 8...

Damn 16 years is a long time.

Reply 10 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Voodoo 3 and Pentium 3>500MHz will get you out of the slow, 30fps territory I believe. What CPU are you running at the moment?

K6-III+ 400 MHz.

Yep, that's going to be a bit slow 😢 .

Reply 11 of 25, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At medium settings it ran quite well, even at 1024 x 768. Quite pleased, but it would be better on a faster system, no doubt.

Reply 12 of 25, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recall running this on my Celeron 566 with a Voodoo 3 and it ran well.
But, when NFS4 came out, I stopped playing NFS3, since many of the tracks and cars (as I recall) where also available in NFS4. Still, very enjoyable to play.

Reply 14 of 25, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) NFS3 must be played with the glide renderer. Reasons - the fog and the correct horizon brightness.
2) You can manually force any renderer through command line switches or registry editing. So - you don't need a "supported videocard".
3) 3dfx 1024x768 mode don't use the z-buffer and must be avoided.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 16 of 25, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

You need at least a voodoo2 with 12mb
the 8mb v2's dont have enough memory for the cockpit view (or is that nfs 4?)

2MB texture memory means no car dash. Voodoo2 8MB and Voodoo1 4MB.

Reply 17 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apologies for resurrecting a 2 year old thread but I did not think this warranted its own thread; I'm trying to run NFSIII on a P233MMX+Voodoo2 12MB system and it's incredibly choppy with cockpit view, regardless of whether I go for 640x480 or 800x600. I've tried messing around with the Advanced graphics settings (The rest are set to On or High) and the only thing that kind of helps seems to be the draw distance but changing that to close causes a lot of object pop in.. What could I be doing wrong? What would be the suggested settings for this game on an MMX and Voodoo 2 system?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are CPU limited, which is why you are getting better performance when lowering the draw distance. Try running the game on a faster Pentium 2 or 3 and you'll be much happier with the performance there.