VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install Daikatana (Sold-Out edition) on Windows 7, but it isn't doing anything, I've tried everything to install the game, I tried all compatibility settings and running as admin, I even tryed to copy the entire CD contents on my HDD, nothing. When I looked it up, I only got instructions for the Steam and GOG versions, and/or I just get things that just say "put the CD in and Install the game", and some results say it works perfect on Windows 7, which I doesn't, not for me...

When I click the setup, nothing happens, it shows the process on task manager, but it doesn't actually display anything.

What do I do?

Reply 2 of 10, by Mr.Blade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 7 has a quite rare issue that e.g. older InstallShields just won't appear but are showed in the task manager. This also occurred on my older system. I actually don't know how to solve this, because I eventually upgraded to Windows 8. Afterwards, the issue disappeared.

As far as I remember, killing as many as non-system relevant tasks could solve your problem.

Banner01_Small.jpg

Reply 4 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is probably related to the problems you are having in your other thread.

If you look at the contents of the CD in Explorer, do the file sizes make sense, or do you have things that couldn't possibly fit simultaneously on a 700 MB CD?

Reply 5 of 10, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

By any chance, are you using any Logitech products? Have installed SetPoint or any other Logitech program? Kill it on the TaskManager and installation should begin.

Nope, I'm not.

Jorpho wrote:

It is probably related to the problems you are having in your other thread.

If you look at the contents of the CD in Explorer, do the file sizes make sense, or do you have things that couldn't possibly fit simultaneously on a 700 MB CD?

This time, everything seems normal: http://prntscr.com/7qf5mu

Reply 6 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cobra! wrote:

When I click the setup, nothing happens, it shows the process on task manager, but it doesn't actually display anything.

Does the name of the window appear in the taskbar?

Also, are you clicking setup.exe directly? What happens if you use autorun.exe ?

Reply 7 of 10, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

If this is what you mean (The windows are grouped sometimes), then yep: http://prntscr.com/7qfli9

Jorpho wrote:

Also, are you clicking setup.exe directly?

I've tried both that, the autorun, and the menu that usually comes up when the disc is inserted (which, strangely, isn't "Autorun.exe"... 😕 ), but no joy on either.

Jorpho wrote:

What happens if you use autorun.exe ?

This menu pops up: http://prntscr.com/7qfmbw
However, I get the same thing when I click "Install Daikatana" than if I clicked "setup.exe" directly, the process showing on task manager, but nothing actually displaying...

Reply 8 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cobra! wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

If this is what you mean (The windows are grouped sometimes), then yep: http://prntscr.com/7qfli9

That's the Explorer window, isn't it? I mean, when setup.exe appears in the task manager, is there any corresponding item in the taskbar at all? I'm thinking the window could conceivably be appearing offscreen (but that's a long shot).

Reply 10 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, when all else fails, Process Monitor can be useful. It's slightly tricky to use, but if you filter out everything but disk accesses (and then exclude disk accesses from any other process that might be running in the background), sometimes you can see what a program might be trying (and failing) to access and make the necessary adjustments.