I have had it running on my system version 1.3 as video shows, but lost the methods on what i did to achieve that after some file mixups. So wondering if others will join the quest. The game is abandonware and found off the net.
While I don't own the game, I can recommend some things to try:
For the graphics problems, I highly recommend the latest version of dgVoodoo2, which does both Glide and Direct3D emulation very well despite still being developed.
If dgVoodoo2 works, and the speed issues aren't resolved, I'd recommend using a program called Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS). Among its many features is the ability to arbitrarily limit the framerate of a game or application. As dgVoodoo2 uses DirectX 11 (or, more specifically, DirectX 10.1) to emulate Glide and Direct3D, RTSS will be able to work with Panzer Commander so long as you're using dgVoodoo 2 for graphics - I know because I used RTSS in conjunction with dgVoodoo2 to get the now-freeware game Hades 2 to not only run, but also run at the correct speed under Windows 8.1.
Expack thankyou for the try. I did all this just now and although the riva program and latestet version of dgvoodoo work it slows it down to normal speed, but the see through vehicle problem just wont go away. If I can find the root to that problem all is good.
I spent a good part of saturday getting Panzer Commander to work on my system so I figured I'd share since there isnt too much info about getting it working on modern systems.
Old Classic Gaming System: AMD3200, 2GB RAM, Ti4200 (81.98 drivers),128SSD
Win98: Works fine
XP: crashes shortly after starting mission, ghost/missing turrent/etc
XP64: same crash and ghost as above, plus audio issue during voiceover in menu
No surprise there, same graphics related issues as others. The voice issue I've only seen on one other old game. Basically when the mission text is read, you hear a few words then either reads very quickly or skips through a bunch of words, before going back to a normal pace. Star Trek Armada is the only other game ive had this issue on, works fine on XP, but not on XP64 on same computer. Haven't bothered to investigate as ive been busy going through all my old games getting them to work on XP64 before switching to newer OS.
Now for the good stuff. Newer system is Quad core, 8GB RAM, GTX750 (368.81, last XP64 drivers), 1TB HDD, running on Windows XP 64bit. I tried a bunch of ddraw.dll that I used to make other games work or from the web. Eventually I found one that fixed all crashing and graphics issues: Aqrit's ddwrapper
I played with the FakeVsyncInterval config setting until I got to about 30FPS ingame. I played for a few minutes to make sure, no more crashes. 😀 The missing turrent/ghost graphics issue was bugging me so I played with the other settings. I cant say which did the trick since I was getting tired of messing around so I didnt narrow it down, but this config setting fixed the missing/ghosting graphics issue.
The game looked the same as it does when running under windows 98. 😀😀
hi - i had been having great trouble trying to get PC to work without the blasted see through textures ruining everything - this DDwrapper helped me to fix the problem though i hve to use it in conjunction with Dxwnd otherwise it still locks up and crashes for me after a few seconds of game time.
with dxwnd, this has been fixed and the fps is round 30 so this is all good, however the game seems to be only running in software mode - i dont know why, - what do i do to get it running with the nice smooth textures and resolution as in the pics. my game resolution seems fixed as 640x480 and the software mode makes everything in the distance impossible to discern