First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is on a Windows 98 machine.

On a V3, everything looks nice. But no 32 bit colour mode:

BxaWJMG.png

Tried a FX5500 card and latest 80 something driver and getting this. The gog version on Windows 8.1 64 also looks like this:

FADFPlo.png

The smoke from the guns looks blocky. The ground is missing. The HID elements are distorted.

Tried a TNT2 M64 with 40 something driver, that card works. Same driver, Quadro2 Pro (GF2 based card), getting the same poor graphics 🙁

When I am trying to fix the issue, disabling mip mapping solves it, but then the game looks terrible. Any ideas?

Goal is to play the game on a DVI capable card, 1024 x 788 32 bit colours, 60 fps and maybe some AA 😀

Also what's a good processor for this game? The game has some slowdowns on a K6-III+ 400 with TNT2 M64, but this actually helps a bit 😀 Not sure if it's the CPU, the GPU, or both.

EDIT: Matrox G550 and latest driver also works great! Fastest card I got working so far, and it has DVI 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
teleguy wrote:

According to Dege it's because of Nvidia's colorkeying method.

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Thanks, I'll read up on it. Noticed that GOG's screenshots have the same issue: static.gog.com/upload/images/2009/09/f8 ... 25439b.jpg

Well what options are there if I want top performance, DVI and some AA? Matrox works, but doesn't seem to have AA. But the 550 is the "best" one I got. Parhelia maybe?

Or AMD! Hey, that's a reason to check out the red team 🤣

Reply 4 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

WineD3D works. No AA that way though.

Cool! Never played around with it.

Didn't have much luck with a Radeon 9700 pro. In 2D the card works, but as soon as you launch a game the machine locks up 🤣

Matrox works great though and has decent enough performance.

A good candidate, but no DVI, is the V5. 32 bit rendering and supersampling AA should make this game look beautiful.

Reply 5 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update.

Seeing that the ATI AGP card kept freezing my machine, I remembered that I got this cheap ATI card from eBay a while ago. I don't think I've ever used it.

It's a GeCube 9200SE 128MB PCI. And the card works! It picked up the drivers from the 9700 pro installation, and good to go. The driver has some quality settings, so I was able to play Incoming with a bit of AA 😀

I've got no idea at what level this card is. These SE cards are always a mystery.

Shame Incoming maxes out at 1024 x 768 though.

That card has a flaky DVI port though. The capture card doesn't take the signal. But it's a start 😀

Reply 6 of 15, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

If you set OffscreenRenderingMode to backbuffer with wined3dcfg.cpl (or by editing the registry manually) you can force AA from the driver controlpanel.
(Tested that on R9 290x and GTX 780, Windows 7 64 bit)

Attachments

• Filename
    wined3dcfg.zip
    File size
    25.36 KiB
    Downloads
    191 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 15, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
teleguy wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

If you set OffscreenRenderingMode to backbuffer with wined3dcfg.cpl (or by editing the registry manually) you can force AA from the driver controlpanel.
(Tested that on R9 290x and GTX 780, Windows 7 64 bit)

Doesn't seem to work on Win8.

Reply 8 of 15, by moknok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received this game demo with the pc gamer cd way back in the 90's played the demo daily. graphics were ahead of it's time.

| WIN98SE non OEM | PII MMX | 350Mhz | 384RAM | Voodoo3 2000 PCI | DX7 | 126GB+ | Yamaha DS-XG Sound |

Reply 9 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've created a Tweak Guide for the GOG version, but this also works with the retail CD.

Incoming Tweak Guide

Reply 11 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stretch wrote:

Is there a D3d wrapper that works on Win98SE for a Geforce FX5700?

I'd be surprised. On a W9x machine, best to use an ATI Radeon or Matrox based card. They render the game perfectly.

Reply 14 of 15, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:
Stretch wrote:

Is there a D3d wrapper that works on Win98SE for a Geforce FX5700?

Did you try Wined3d with the shader level reduced via wined3dcfg.cpl?

I copied the wined3d dll files into the Incoming folder.

I renamed ddraw.dll to ddren.dll, and with a hex editor renamed ddraw.dll to ddren.dll in incoming.exe.

Incoming errors out with:

The ddren.dll file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:memcmp.

So, since I'm on Win98SE, ntdll.dll will not be present.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 15 of 15, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

KernelEx will give you a subset of NT API functions, but I think we're barking down the wrong path here.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98