VOGONS

Common searches


Doom95 under Windows 10

Topic actions

First post, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

So i'm here on a strange matter, I've got Doom Collector's Edition which gathers Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom and it all works under Doom95. Was released in 2001.

I know that there are plenty of other Engines or even DosBox for vanilla, but really want to play this edition. Can you help me?

I'm stuck on this stage:

kbvtC3IG3tU.jpg

Reply 1 of 53, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like the artifact of buffer color depth/size mismatch. Have you tried it with dgVoodoo or DXGL's replacement ddraw.dlls?

Doom95's generally ick because of the Win9x-centric mouse support, but that's besides the point 😀 I get what you're trying to do, play the release as it were on a platform unforeseen. though to be fair XP wasn't on the agenda when Doom95 was developed up at wildtangent in 95. They had to do something to desperately show off DirectX with something well known, and with that desperation came the need for speed, and with that need for speed comes that obviously small pixel buffer being handled by 10 improperly.

it also shows that zenimax must get off their ass and do something about the Steam doom releases after Windows 10 launches because it WILL be like this, and there will be a lot of tears.

by the way, DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x

Reply 2 of 53, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps running it directly on top of Win95, installed in VirtualBox, VirtualPC or even DOSBox Daum will make things better.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 53, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
leileilol wrote:

it also shows that zenimax must get off their ass and do something about the Steam doom releases after Windows 10 launches because it WILL be like this, and there will be a lot of tears.

That's actually the original DOS version in a readymade DOSBox. Ancient one, at that.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 6 of 53, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Looks like the artifact of buffer color depth/size mismatch. Have you tried it with dgVoodoo or DXGL's replacement ddraw.dlls?

Doom95's generally ick because of the Win9x-centric mouse support, but that's besides the point 😀 I get what you're trying to do, play the release as it were on a platform unforeseen. though to be fair XP wasn't on the agenda when Doom95 was developed up at wildtangent in 95. They had to do something to desperately show off DirectX with something well known, and with that desperation came the need for speed, and with that need for speed comes that obviously small pixel buffer being handled by 10 improperly.

it also shows that zenimax must get off their ass and do something about the Steam doom releases after Windows 10 launches because it WILL be like this, and there will be a lot of tears.

I STILL don't get why Zenimax hasn't done anything about the CD audio for Quake or Quake II. The music is the best part of those games! 🤣

My NEW(ish) desktop:
p8cqsw-2.png

Reply 7 of 53, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They don't do anything because they don't care to relicense the music. They want to make money not loose it.

Which has me thinking, shouldn't the use of that music be grandfathered in anyways? I mean it's on every CD that has ever been pressed...

Steam Profile
YouTube Channel
Seal of Nehahra

Reply 8 of 53, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

License? That's news to me. I thought it was reluctant laziness on dealing with a CD image and Steam has no virtual CD mounting support built-in (as opposed to say, Gametap, which pulled this off for its downloadable CD-based games that had redbook tracks a decade ago)

by the way, DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x

Reply 9 of 53, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Until official OS release it's doubtful to discuss its compatibility. Retail version should be used. Official patches may appear as from micro&soft as from game's distributor.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 10 of 53, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Tertz wrote:

Until official OS release it's doubtful to discuss its compatibility. Retail version should be used. Official patches may appear as from micro&soft as from game's distributor.

Still waiting for patch for Doom 1995 release 😀

Reply 11 of 53, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote:

Still waiting for patch for Doom 1995 release 😀

Meanwhile Microsoft is busy in counting money and can't do normal OS, you may use VM with Win9x to run it.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 12 of 53, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bet it has something to do with the fact that Doom95 runs in a 256-colour palette mode.
Looks like it's 1/4th width, so it probably puts the 8-bit pixeldata in a 32-bit framebuffer. Either because 256-colour mode is not supported at all by the driver, or because there's a bug.

I'll have to test it on my system, I have never tried to run 8-bit code on Windows 10. IIrc it still worked in Win8 though.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 14 of 53, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote:

It's probably trying to run at 320x200 which is no longer supported. Running at 640x480 might fix this.

It should still work if your driver allows you to add custom resolutions.
Works on my GeForce 970 at any rate. I just added a 320x200 32-bit mode at 60 Hz, and it allows me to run 320x200 8-bit stuff that I wrote back in the Win9x days.

I've downloaded Doom95 anyway, and tried it on Windows 10 on my GeForce 970, and I get the same problem as in the screenshot.
I'll have to try it on a laptop with Intel GPU and see what happens there... Could be either Windows 10 or the display driver that's bugged.
I'll also have to try some older versions of Windows to see if it works at all on the GeForce 970.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 16 of 53, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I've tried Doom 95 in XP x64 and Vista... and I could get it to work there on my GeForce 970 (but only in fullscreen mode... windowed mode still looked like your screenshot).
It doesn't work in Windows 10. But as I say, I can run DirectDraw stuff in 320x200 8-bit fullscreen on it, so it must be a Doom95-specific issue why that mode is not initialized properpy.
I'll try on a Windows 10 system with an Intel chip tomorrow.

Last edited by Scali on 2015-09-11, 07:17. Edited 1 time in total.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 17 of 53, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
filipetolhuizen wrote:

It's probably trying to run at 320x200 which is no longer supported. Running at 640x480 might fix this.

If you look carefully at the screenshot (i.e. the smaller stone border pattern) it's already 640x480

by the way, DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x

Reply 18 of 53, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried to run it on my Intel-based laptop... It doesn't work at all, gives an error that it can't initialize the video mode.
And I've tried some old 320x200 8-bit DirectDraw code on the laptop as well, and that ran fine there. So it's something specific that Doom95 does, that breaks it.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/