Common searches

Doom95 under Windows 10

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 53, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ibm5155 wrote:

For me, Windows 10 is better for old games because: most of the old games that I use to play on modern systems almost all had the 256 color bug, and that doesn't exist with 10, so for me it's better :p

One of the problems with Win 10, and 8 for that matter, is that they always use 32-bit colour mode. 8 and 16-bit appear to be emulated, and some games do not seem to get on too well with that. The 8-bit colour bug in Win 7 was quite easy to work around, but there are games that will not display properly in 10 no matter what you do.

Last edited by Silanda on 2016-01-30, 02:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 53, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RoyBatty wrote:

There are no less than 10 Doom source ports, why not just use one of them instead. I prefer GZDoom myself, but you could use Chocolate Doom for a purely vanilla play.

Exactly. Or if you want high resolution, but keep it close to vanilla, use PrBoom. That probably would be the closest to Doom95's intention, but without miserably failing at it.
Doom95 was the most incompatible from the beginning.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 43 of 53, by iGREKKESS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Have you tried dgVoodoo2 or DXGL yet? Because that's what you should do.

I'm not sure fix for 3-D APIs will help, since Doom Vanilla is not a real 3-D engine... 😉

FYI : I've tried DirectDrawFix, which works fine for Worms Armageddon (similar color problem), without success.
Same thing for ddwrappergen 1.130524.

vorob wrote:

DXGL's fixed issue, but mouse is not working, had to download another fix.

Same issue here, mouse capture problem, under Win7 x64.

After searching, the mouse problem is not linked to the DXGL wrapper, it's a well known problem since WinXP :
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/512 … -available-now/

I've tried the XP fix, but did not succeed to get it working under Win7... It doesn't even work under Win XP SP3 😒

About Chocolate Doom, I could not get the same "enhanced resolution" render (up to 640x480), like Doom 95. And ZDoom familiy ports are real 3-D converted engines, so the render will not be the same. I've to admit this is a good point for Doom 95.
chv4.jpg

Reply 44 of 53, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iGREKKESS wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Have you tried dgVoodoo2 or DXGL yet? Because that's what you should do.

I'm not sure fix for 3-D APIs will help, since Doom Vanilla is not a real 3-D engine... 😉

AFAIK these wrappers (dgVoodoo2, DXGL) wrap DirectDraw as well as Direct3D.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 45 of 53, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iGREKKESS wrote:

About Chocolate Doom, I could not get the same "enhanced resolution" render

Try Crispy Doom.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 46 of 53, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

License? That's news to me. I thought it was reluctant laziness on dealing with a CD image and Steam has no virtual CD mounting support built-in (as opposed to say, Gametap, which pulled this off for its downloadable CD-based games that had redbook tracks a decade ago)

Newer games typically don't rely on it, and it would take some work to implement, but still, if Steam is going to be carrying older games, I think it's something they seriously need to work on. Unfortunately, I think Valve have their heads stuck too far up their asses. 🤣

Reply 48 of 53, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got it working fine with the windows xp mouse patch and DxWND run as admin on Windows 7.

The 640x480 isn't correct either, the aspect ratio is wrong. Maybe you are used to it, but it's supposed to be stretched vertically a bit.

Reply 49 of 53, by iGREKKESS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dondiego wrote:
iGREKKESS wrote:

About Chocolate Doom, I could not get the same "enhanced resolution" render

Try Crispy Doom.

Thanks, I love this name ! 😀

RoyBatty wrote:

The 640x480 isn't correct either, the aspect ratio is wrong. Maybe you are used to it, but it's supposed to be stretched vertically a bit.

I don't think so, since it's not a 2-D engine, it must be simply rendering the perspective for an extended view...

Reply 52 of 53, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tried Doom95 (the version with "Sky never changes in Doom II" bug) on Windows 10 1909. I used DxWnd, mouse patch and demo recording patch .

It worked OK. It's interesting that game's own windowed mode didn't work. I could also connect two machines on LAN for multiplayer for which I used DirectPlay TCP/IP option. DirectPlay wasn't an issue...I always install it on Windows 8+ and make a hard link named dplay.dll pointing to dplayx.dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 with help of Link Shell Extension (though making a copy instead is a bit easier and doesn't require messing with permissions - only TrustedInstaller has full rights over system files).

Some observations:

• It was compiled with Watcom C/C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ wasn't good enough?).
  • It burns CPU cycles when sitting in the launcher window because they used PeekMessageA instead of GetMessageA.
  • The strangest thing though, what was the point of using VXD driver for mouse input?
Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.