VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I once decided to try out Windows 8 despite the huge backlash it was getting from the general public. I actually liked it. Once you get used to the new interface, all is jolly.

I was getting ready to switch to that OS full-time and so I installed all the software I always use, set everything up and then started installing games, upon which moment I was shocked. I installed Re-Volt, turned it on and expected it to run as it always did, which is buttery smooth. It was running sluggishly and jittery. Framerate was poor.

I read up on the matter and I found the explanation: dwm.exe is to blame. On Windows 7, if there was an incompatibility with the rendering method of a game, it adjusted itself appropriately and all was fine. On Windows 8, dwm.exe does a lot more stuff than before and it no longer adjusts itself. Also, it cannot be disabled. As a result many games, especially older ones, will run poorly even on a good machine.

Upon the release of Windows 8.1, I tried it again full of hope that Microsoft would somehow fix the issue which makes the whole OS absolutely worthless to me, but no such thing happened. There is no workaround, no fix.

So a question arises: has anything been done now that we're getting a supposedly whole new OS? Please tell me if you've installed the preview version of Windows 10.

Although the issue affects a number of different games, the only game I ever installed on Windows 8 was Re-Volt and I know it to be one of them so if you've got no other way to confirm or deny my fears, please install that particular game. The demo version should suffice. If it runs any worse than perfectly smoothly even on a netbook, everything will be clear.

Reply 1 of 5, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try if the game runs better in a window.

If so this should fix it:

1. Using the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit […]
Show full quote

1. Using the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit

• Install Microsoft ACT - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7352
• Run the Compatibility Administrator (32-bit)
• Select New Database (1) and press Fix
• Fill in the vendor name and the program name, as well as the location of the program. Press next.
• Press Next again.
• Select fix DXPrimaryEmulation
• Click Parameters, enter: -DisableMaxWindowedMode and press OK.
• Press Next.
• Press Finish.
• Press Save, select the database name and save location.
• Press File - Install

Instead of DXPrimaryEmulation -DisableMaxWindowedMode you can also use NoGDIHWAcceleration.

Reply 2 of 5, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's really not DWM. 8 and 16 bit color depth is no longer supported and exclusive fullscreen is no longer allowed for older DX applications. It's not likely to change and from my minimal testing of Win10 it hasn't.

dgVoodoo2, DXGL and dxwnd are your main tools for dealing with it. Between those and the two compatibility fixes mentioned every game I have tried has ran flawlessly in Windows 8.

Not sure why you would run the original release of Re-Volt though, it has a very extensive fan patch updating it to modern standards.

Reply 3 of 5, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We might find out tomorrow... I plan to remove my ACT fixes to see if anything is any better...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 4 of 5, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to tentatively say that the speed issues seem to be fixed, on my system at least. Compatibility with games that have other issues doesn't seem any better though.

EDIT: Scratch that. Things may have improved a bit but I still need the ACT fix.

EDIT 2: While not perfect, it's definitely an improvement. Some software that was seemingly stuck at 32fps before now runs at 60 after I've removed the ACT fixes. Also, I tested Jimmy White's Cueball, which is a game that was a problem in 8.1 (only displayed a black screen), and it seems to be perfect in 10.

Reply 5 of 5, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still waiting for my PC to be "verified" by Microsoft, so still on Win8.1... I might have to download Win10 and install from USB at this rate...!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor