Common searches

Reply 20 of 32, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

"You have DX12, why do you need DX9 and DX8 compatibility?" ©hardware vendors

I remember a frustrating bug introduced with Forceware 1xx drivers for Windows XP which broke 99% of DirectX 5 and 6 games. It was only fixed in version 2xx, about 3 years later. Forceware 1xx were the worst drivers ever made.
This case might be something to do with primary or secondary D3D devices. MS ACT fixes probably can override one of these GPUs.

Reply 21 of 32, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've reported the bug to Nvidia. They've promised to look at it, so I hope it will get fixed soon.

filipetolhuizen wrote:

MS ACT fixes probably can override one of these GPUs.

Do you have any specific fixes in mind?

Reply 22 of 32, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tgomola wrote:

I've reported the bug to Nvidia. They've promised to look at it, so I hope it will get fixed soon.

filipetolhuizen wrote:

MS ACT fixes probably can override one of these GPUs.

Do you have any specific fixes in mind?

DXPrimaryClipping or DXPrimaryEmulation should have an effect, but that's only a guess.

Reply 23 of 32, by RibShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are other DirectX 8 to 9 wrappers available (two to my knowledge).

This one is usually the more reliable, but you can also try this one. Just place d3d8.dll into the games' directory and hopefully it will work for you.

Reply 24 of 32, by Garrett

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From your description it sounds like non-native resolutions are being windowboxed. This is one of the choices for GPU scaling. Have you checked that the Intel control panel is set to the scaling option you want?

Reply 25 of 32, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

DXPrimaryClipping or DXPrimaryEmulation should have an effect, but that's only a guess.

Unfortunately, these fixes didn't change anything.

Garrett wrote:

Have you checked that the Intel control panel is set to the scaling option you want?

I don't know why, but I can't change the scaling option. Anyway, the window border isn't that much of a problem because I can disable it by using ForceSimpleWindow fix. The problem is that Intel can't handle some games. Textures in NFSHP2 flicker like crazy if it runs on Intel, and the framerate in CMR 2.0 is horrible.

Again, I am fully aware of the existing wrappers. I was just wondering if I can force my laptop to use Nvidia GPU without using them, as the wrappers sometimes aren't 100% bug-free.

Reply 26 of 32, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail … ill-only-run-on

This is the result of my conversation with a guy from nVidia. It seems that nVidia can't (or simply won't) fix this issue. Great. Just great. I swear, this is the last laptop with Optimus I've ever bought.

Reply 27 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Best bet would be to see if Intel will fix their driver and also see if Dege feels like supporting D3D8.

My new laptop coming in two weeks has a switch where you can choose either Intel or Nvidia but you have to reboot so no Optimus (yay!).

Other Options:
Install Windows\Linux in a VM in Vmware Player. VMware currently offers D3D9 support. Vmware 12 will offer D3D10 support.
Try to disable both graphics cards in device managerand use the basic display adapter and see if your game works in WARP. It'll be very slow though since all graphics will be emulated.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 28 of 32, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Best bet would be to see if Intel will fix their driver and also see if Dege feels like supporting D3D8.

It seems to be Windows 10 issue, so I've given MS my feedback through the built-in app.

DosFreak wrote:

My new laptop coming in two weeks has a switch where you can choose either Intel or Nvidia but you have to reboot so no Optimus (yay!).

Lucky you 🙁 you'll save yourself a lot of trouble. I know for sure the next computer I'll buy will be a good old desktop PC

DosFreak wrote:

Other Options:

Thanks for advices, but I avoid using virtual machines. I like simplicity - I start all my games through LaunchBox. I'll stick to the wrappers for now 😀

Well, case closed - sort of. Thank you all for your help, but it seems that the problem won't be solved until Microsoft decides to fix it.

Reply 29 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reshade supposedly has a D3D8 wrapper included:
http://reshade.me/
Source: https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9

Reply 30 of 32, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As it's doubtful your notebook will support future DirectX 12 games well, it's senseless to install Win10 on it. Use previous OS without "new improved" issues in the recurrent Microsoft OS.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 31 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC Kepler supports TIER1 which means the low cpu overhead should still apply.

The latest Nvidia driver doesn't support D3D12 (not DX12) for Kepler anyway, nevermind the fact that there aren't even any D3D12 games currently available.

Please don't bring your BS opinions into this thread.

Reply 32 of 32, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tgomola wrote:
Garrett wrote:

Have you checked that the Intel control panel is set to the scaling option you want?

I don't know why, but I can't change the scaling option. Anyway, the window border isn't that much of a problem because I can disable it by using ForceSimpleWindow fix. The problem is that Intel can't handle some games. Textures in NFSHP2 flicker like crazy if it runs on Intel, and the framerate in CMR 2.0 is horrible.

Again, I am fully aware of the existing wrappers. I was just wondering if I can force my laptop to use Nvidia GPU without using them, as the wrappers sometimes aren't 100% bug-free.

Check if this fix the problem for you in CMR 2.0.

If so, then we may have a guess

pcgamingwiki.com