VOGONS

Any good Windows 3.1 games?

Topic actions

First post, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just recently set up my 486 with Windows 3.1 and wondered about any other good games for it. Any suggestions?

Official Website: https://dg410.duckdns.org/

Reply 1 of 112, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was wondering this myself as I just set up Windows 3.11 on my Cyrix 200MX system, all I found so far is Microsoft Arcade, pretty neat, has Centipede, battlezone etc. nice complement to the Champ games stuff for DOS(those are all brilliant BTW!). Oh, think arcade need WinG installing first. Apparently the demo of return to arcade works too, but not for me so far, that has Ms. Pacman, however the Champ Ms pacem is probably better any how for DOS.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 2 of 112, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Operation: Inner Space

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 112, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My retro revival of the past couple of years went from DOS to 98SE, completely skipping over 3.1. Are these all games that won't run properly on 95/98?

Reply 7 of 112, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

My retro revival of the past couple of years went from DOS to 98SE, completely skipping over 3.1. Are these all games that won't run properly on 95/98?

They should run properly on Windows 9x, but the point of this topic is to find really good games that run on Windows 3.1.

Official Website: https://dg410.duckdns.org/

Reply 10 of 112, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Chip's Challenge.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 11 of 112, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Myst (the original 1993 release). I think it was only ported to Windows in 1994 but, definitely still before Windows 95 was released (I distinctly remember playing the original Myst on Windows 3.1 since I was required to install Quicktime on my Windows 3.1 installation).
I still have the original CD at home (as I recall, it came with both the Windows & Mac installation files on the CD).

Reply 12 of 112, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I seem tor recall that Yoda Stories worked in Windows 3.1, or at least Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures did. They were vaguely amusing. (If I'm not mistaken, the GBC version of Yoda Stories lacked the randomly-generated levels and was thus considerably inferior.) Many of the Sim games from Maxis (up to at least SimCity 2000) also worked under Windows 3.1. So did some versions of The Incredible Machine. Epic's Dare to Dream (written in Visual Basic 1.0, woohoo!) is kind of neat, too.

I have no idea why you'd want to play any of those on a 486 instead of a faster machine running Win9x, though.

Reply 14 of 112, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The fun bit is that small point-in-time where you had Win32S and WinG, precursor to DirectX, where you could sort-of get fast arcade/action games working in Windows (there was an early port of Doom for WinG, but I don't think it was made public).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 15 of 112, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- The Incredible Machine (actually "The Even More Incredible Machines") and Incredible Machine II
- Civilization and Civilization II (and Civilization II expansions)
- SimCity and SimCity 2000 (SimCity 2000 expansions)
- Leisure Suit Larry 6 and 7
- Some of the Space Quest Series (4-6?)

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 16 of 112, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, I almost forgot Zombie Wars, the sequel to Halloween Harry / Alien Carnage. Quite possibly the only game of its kind for Windows 3.1.

Comet Busters is kind of neat, if you don't mind yet another Asteroids clone. The same developer also released Nuclear Winter, a Missle Command clone.

Reply 17 of 112, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some obscure (because win3.1) adventures: Cosmology of Kyoto, Dust, Titanic, Noir a shadowy Thriller. They're also all p good 🤣
A few years ago (and still on linux because the superior movies gog redux version doesn't run on wine) i'd add Bad Mojo to that list.

Much win95 software will also work in a win3.1 environment and therefore dosbox (without the trouble of setting up a windows 95 img file that gets corrupted at the drop of a hat i mean).
ex: Darkseed 2.

Last edited by Serious Callers Only on 2015-08-20, 00:38. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 19 of 112, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

I am extremely partial to Betrayal in Antara. Love that game.

Need to install that. I own the game but i need a virtual machine to even copy the files of the 3rd cd 🤣

Also i'm kind of scared of running it on dosbox because years ago, the game crashed on the very last scene where introducing ingredients to the cauldron to trigger the ending. Do you have ending saves i could use to test?