Any good Windows 3.1 games?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 112, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Serious Callers Only wrote:

I own the game but i need a virtual machine to even copy the files of the 3rd cd 🤣

That is one of the pains with Antara. XP mode works, but that is not an option for later Windows.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 21 of 112, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mmmm, since i mentioned it i thought it best to test it out and installed Noir a shadowy thriller in dosbox.

First the good news: it works
Then the bad news: until it asks you to change discs, then it cant find a file.

The reason is obvious if you look at the name of the file it's looking for. It's > 8 characters. Therefore either the game only ever worked in later windows 95 with unicows support, or dosbox cdrom emulation is screwed in windows 3.1 and it supported > 8 characters in at least some versions.

Now this places us in a bind to play this game. A windows 95 install would work, except that windows 95 doesn't see the local drives mounted by dosbox (including isos !)

Therefore the only way is to install a cd emulator that runs on win95, create a image that windows 95 can see and dump the isos there to mount during gameplay.

This is too stupid to contemplate so i anxiously await the decade in which dosbox imgmount is fixed so windows 95 can see it as a cdrom. Or at least where win3.1 can see > 8 characters in cds (how did they advertize win3.1 support in the game without this anyway? ).

Does anyone know if the redbook standard (i think that's the right one, or maybe that is just for cd audio) allowed filenames with > 8 characters (not the complete file path, just the filename).
Me thinks some lazy code sharing between mount and imgmount is happening

Reply 24 of 112, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Betrayal in Antara:
I got the game working in Windows 3.1 in DOSBox 0.72 years ago. It ran fine. IIRC GOG has it on their website too.

Noir:
Are you using the SVN? How are you mounting the CDs? Daemon Tools on the host and then mounting as a CD in DOSBox or mounting the ISO in DOSBox? Did you try refreshing the cache?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 112, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That LFN thing was for Noir: A shadowy thriller which ambushed me just now by requiring LFN support on the second cd. That other Antara error occurred in real windows 98 or XP (can't recall), so i was just looking for a ending save so i could see if it goes away in win3.1 or my cds are defective (quite possible being over 20 years old).

edit: i ended up playing until completion and it worked fine, including the ending, which i finally saw. Of course it had to be a cliffhanger. Of course.

I wish the game supported color depths > 8 bits 256 colors. The Pallette of the game realy suffers, especially at night funny enough (which is where the error if you use > 8bits manifests as purple night).

Reply 28 of 112, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Jorpho wrote:

PCMag just published this little article:
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/336891/7 … ming-classics/1

I haven't heard of half of those.

I remember playing 4 of them (The Adventures of MicroMan, Slam!, SkiFree and Nanotank). MicroMan and SkiFree were my favorites.

I knew about Castle of the Winds but never played it. Didn't know or read about Zombie Wars and Operation: Inner Space until now.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 29 of 112, by dunz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember enjoying The Incredible Machine quite a lot when on my 486 DX2. A-Train is good as well(if you like trains).

Linux administrator by day, man who enjoys old hardware by night.

Reply 30 of 112, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does The Incredible Machine even have a Windows version?

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 37 of 112, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the edutainment titles put out by 7th level (tune land, great word adventure, ...) are masterpieces. I also would recommend castle of the winds. that game was recently released as freeware by it's creator, by the way. That was one of the games that came on an old shareware compilation that came with my grandma's old compac computer back in 1998.

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ

Reply 38 of 112, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Castle of the Winds was mentioned 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 39 of 112, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

PCMag just published this little article:
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/336891/7 … ming-classics/1

I haven't heard of half of those.

Operation: Inner Space! I remember playing the absolute crap out of that one back in the day.

While I'm here, I should give a mention to Space Empires II. Best 4X strategy game for Windows 3.1 that's not named "Civilization". 😀

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt