VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

Please excuse me if this post doesn't fit here, couldn't find a better subforum to submit it.

I want to try Diablo 2 on my P3 computer with W98 since I didn't play it before, so I bought a digital copy from Blizzard.
The installer doesn't seem to work on W98 (it quits with an error message). Is there any way to install it using the digital copy?

Also bought a physical CD from eBay. Installer worked fine but after it completes, choosing D3D the game just crashes to desktop without any error message. This computer has a TI4200 (77.72 drivers) and a Voodoo2. DX version is 8.

Using glide seems to work, the game launches at least. Would like to test it on D3D to compare the performance between them.

Never played this game before. I really would like to get the best playing experience with it 😀

Thanks a lot.

Reply 1 of 5, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The latest patch will work on 98 still, if you can get it there - copying the folder wholesale installed on another machine should work. (At least on DirectDraw.) My 6x86MX kinda chugged through it.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 2 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's true, there is no subforum for old games on old computers. Perhaps Marvin is the best place for now, I really don't know.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 5, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many thanks for the feedback 😉

calvin, D2Patch_113d.exe did it! Now I can run the CD game on D3D or Glide APIs.
Can't see any performance issues with any of them so I will just stick with Glide.

Cheers!

Reply 4 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC Diablo II d3d support was broken up to 1.04...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 5, by Dewmed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dosfriend wrote:
Hi all! […]
Show full quote

Hi all!

Please excuse me if this post doesn't fit here, couldn't find a better subforum to submit it.

I want to try Diablo 2 on my P3 computer with W98 since I didn't play it before, so I bought a digital copy from Blizzard.
The installer doesn't seem to work on W98 (it quits with an error message). Is there any way to install it using the digital copy?

Also bought a physical CD from eBay. Installer worked fine but after it completes, choosing D3D the game just crashes to desktop without any error message. This computer has a TI4200 (77.72 drivers) and a Voodoo2. DX version is 8.

Using glide seems to work, the game launches at least. Would like to test it on D3D to compare the performance between them.

Never played this game before. I really would like to get the best playing experience with it 😀

Thanks a lot.

I used to have the same problem, but I've figured out that running the installer from blizzard website through windows xp, and copying the files to win98 works flawlessly!