VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm wanting to try out the Windows version of Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny on my Windows 10 x64 machine to see if 1) provided I use dgVoodoo2, it will run, and 2) see if its performance is superior to using DOSBox SVN-Daum with nGlide for rendering, but I only have the GOG.com release - which looks like they dumped the CD contents into a folder, got rid of any chafe, and set it up to run CD-less. However, the installers/setup executables for the game do nothing when run via DOSBox, and the Windows installer, when run in Windows, gives me this bizarre error:

---------------------------
Assert
---------------------------
êl!

Does anyone know a way to get the GOG.com release of Guardians of Destiny running on Windows?

Reply 1 of 1, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GoG release of Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny does not include the Windows version.

If you have the discs, just copy cddrive:\INSTALL and cddrive:\SETUP\INSTALL to the same folder, remove readonly from all the files and run "LOLSETUP.EXE" before running the game ("LOLG95.EXE").

Run the game with either DXGL or dgVooodo2. If you don't care about hardware acceleration DxWnd will also work.

You need some compatibility flag for fullspeed FMVs, forgot which.

Performance is better (IIRC the DOS version is locked to 30, while the WIN version can run 60), but DXGL and dgVoodoo2 both have various minor graphic glitches and correcting the AR is pretty difficult (the D3D patch doesn't properly support 640x400...).