First post, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In continuation of my topic Re: Doom95 under Windows 10

ZellSF wrote:
vorob wrote:

Any list of games that worked under win 7 and not working under win 8-10 without fixes? Btw 256 color bug was fixed in win 8-10 via emulation, for me that's ok.

No one's bothered to make a list no. If you want to know which games are broken in Win8-10, only way is to test. I can tell you there's a lot though.

There are workarounds for most of them, but Win10 definitely is not more compatible than Win7.

So, EA are currently gifting a free copy of Red Alert 2 (and its add-on) in Origin. I tried it in Windows 7 x64 and 10 x64.

In Win 7 game runs too fast. There is a fan-made workaround, but the fact is that game is unplayable out from the box.

While in Win 10 speed is normal.

Why it is so?

Reply 1 of 3, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Skirmish mode = fastest game speed is as fast as your computer allows. This will be slower on Win10, because Win10 has performance problems with Red Alert 2. You should not be using the highest game speed setting.

Campaign mode = locked to a specific game speed, if this is slower on Win10, it's because Win10 has performance problems. It's not supposed to be that slow. There's a cheat somewhere for reducing the speed below normal.

Use ts-ddraw to fix performance problems in Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.

Reply 2 of 3, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This will be slower on Win10, because Win10 has performance problems with Red Alert 2

Are you sure? Cause from my place it works just perfect. Same for skirmish and for campaign. Same speed. Normal.

Reply 3 of 3, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vorob wrote:

This will be slower on Win10, because Win10 has performance problems with Red Alert 2

Are you sure? Cause from my place it works just perfect. Same for skirmish and for campaign. Same speed. Normal.

How are you sure the Win7 speed is not the normal speed? I've never heard of Red Alert 2 running too fast in campaign mode.