VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by The_Atomik_Punk!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm trying to play the original Diablo on a modern Win 7 machine (retail disc), and quickly became aware of the messed up colors that are displayed when running the game on a modern OS. After looking up the solution to make the game compatible, the colors now display properly - except for loading screens. At the end of a loading screen (say, when loading a game file or in a transition between areas), the colors freak out as if the color fix was not applied. It's temporary, so obviously this is exceptionally minor and doesn't affect gameplay in any way, but I'm just enough of a perfectionist that it bothers me quite a bit every time that I see it, and it's kind of killing the mood for me.

I've tried a host of different compatibility setting on the shortcut, and none seem to remedy what I'm experiencing. I can't find other example on the internet of what I'm seeing, as when everyone else applies the color fix (via whatever method, reg edit, custom BAT file, etc) it seems to work for the whole game, including the end of loading screens. There's a couple of interesting tidbits; the included Diablo "test" utility lists everything as "OK", except for the RAM check (it says that I have 0mb RAM when I have 16). Secondly, there's an HD mod for Diablo 1 called Beelzebub; this mod when applied works perfectly on my system without screwed up colors- including the loading screen. The thing is, I'm not interested in all of the modified content from this mod; I'd prefer to be able to play the vanilla game with proper colors in the loading screens as well. Any insight into my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 2 of 8, by The_Atomik_Punk!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've never heard of that program; I'd have to try it out and mess around with it. Are there any configuration settings you'd recommend before trying it with Win7 for Diablo 1?

Reply 3 of 8, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've never played Diablo 1, so I can't really recommend any settings. It should work with default options though. Simply download the program and copy both .dlls from "MS" directory to your D1 location.

Reply 8 of 8, by The_Atomik_Punk!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joey_sw wrote:

Holy smokes, that solved my problem! Since I already had the nocolorfix applied from a regedit, that setting in Aqrit's drwapper wasn't needed; the only setting I changed in the included .cfg file was setting "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" to 1, and voila-no more psychadelic loading screen! Thank you very much to everyone for helping me solve this problem, it's much appreciated.