VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello fellow VOGONS members, 😀

I have a problem regarding Need For Speed ProStreet, apparently EA thought it would be a good idea to cap the framerate to 30FPS.
After searching the web for a while I found out that this screencap was introduced in the Boosterpack, which doubles as the 1.1 patch.
This patch introduces new cars and fixes some bugs so I'd like to use it, but 30FPS for a racinggame is too low and it greatly reduces the sense of speed.
Since Google came up dry on this subject I don't think this has an easy solution but maybe somebody knows how to fix this.

I already tried the following things, looking in the files for an .ini or .cfg that could be edited but I haven't found anything, and I looked into the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\electronic arts\Need for Speed ProStreet) and tried changing g_PerformanceLevel from 0 to 1 but that did't solve it.
My guess is that the nfs.exe needs to be hex edited but to be honest I don't know where to start with this. 🙁

Reply 2 of 6, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After I went through the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling it without the patch, the menu went haywire on me like it was controlled by an uncalibrated joystick.
Unplugged my gamepad and it still happened, the menu seems 60fps now though but I couldn't playtest it. 🙁

Reply 3 of 6, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found out what caused the menuproblem, I installed Facetracknoir recently which also installed some virtualjoystick program, I uninstalled this and it works okay now, 60fps gameplay when unpatched.

Reply 4 of 6, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, some news if anyone is interested. 😀

Some time ago I saw that EA still sells ProStreet on Origin so I went ahead and bought it during a sale and guess what.... it has the 1.1 boosterpack and no fps cap!
That's the good news, the bad is that the gameplay was anything but smooth, it freezed and stuttered along and was downright terrible, lowering videosettings didn't do anything and rivatunerstatisticsserver reported a constant 60fps during stutters, which suggested it wasn't a graphics issue.

In an attempt searching for clues on Google on how to solve this it quickly becomes clear this game has a history of serious performance issues and nothing really helpful apart from this 8 year old post:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/941615-need-fo … street/41082374

Now I didn't make any changes in my virtual memory settings but I did notice that when I played my DVD version I had it installed on my secondary HD while my primary is an SSD with Windows 7 which has the virtual memory, and gameplay was considerably smoother with some slight stutter here and there but nothing serious. I had my Origin NFS ProStreet initially installed on my SSD, so I uninstalled it and installed it on the HD and bingo, it plays as smooth as my DVD copy.
Makes me wonder if there would be a simpler solution for computers that only have one harddrive.

One other thing I noticed, in the taskmanager my last cpucore is at 100% occupancy all the time (i7 4770K), I don't know if that has something to do with the remaining occasional stutter this game has, but if anyone has suggestions on how to fix those I'm all ears.
I also ran the 4GB patch on the NFS.exe but I didn't notice any change.

Despite its issues ProStreet is probably my favorite NFSgame and now I finally have it working with the boosterpack with the extra cars I don't know how to unlock them. 🙁
I tried cheatcodes (unlockallthings) and an unlocker (SAAM) but the only new cars I see are the NSX, a free Integra and a Lexus. Looking in the gamefiles it seems I'm missing all the good stuff, Aston Martin, Porsche Carrera GT, Lamborghini Gallardo and Lancia Delta and maybe a few others. Does anyone know how I can unlock these cars?

Reply 6 of 6, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mirh wrote:

I don't understand why you don't just check hdd activity and ram, cpu and gpu usage to rule out or pinpoint the bottleneck.

Good call, I will and report back as soon when I have something substantial. 😀