VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ragnar-gd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

both cable and card were damaged, because of a broken pin... never checked both, but now... 😵
Now everythink works on DVI as well, problem solved... sorry for occupying you with my lack of problem solving capability... 😒
-----------------------
Hi,

i have a curious effect:

Some games (notoriously "Thief - Dark Project", and "HotWheels - Jetz" by THQ; there may be others) crash in-game on my rigs, when connected to a DVI-port, and the video-resolution is changed in-game. This happens on all my operating systems on the same rig (W98SE, XP Pro 32bit, and W10 64bit- both Home and Pro).
Using them with the VGA-port of the same GPU is stable.
Maybe this is because DVI-ports are well-known to refuse "unsupported", but also to refuse "undesired" resolutions, even though they are possible technically. Then, those games, being too old to know of DVI, can't catch that error, and CTD.
Vice versa VGA-ports accept any resolution when forced, but they you monitor may turn blac, and make strange noises... 😉

If what i observe is true, this limits the choice of GPUs for legacy-gamer-rigs to those having at least one VGA-port, if maximum compatibility is desired.
Unfortunatly, the faster cards of the GeForce 7xxx and 6xxx series are always Dual-DVI...

Does anyone of you have had a similar experience, or may that just be my special hard- or software, or my lack of skill with configuring games or GPUs?
Any advice?

Cheers, Ragnar G.D.

Last edited by ragnar-gd on 2015-10-20, 21:15. Edited 1 time in total.

My posts on the subject of W98SE legacy are dedicated to Rudolph Loew, (+11/ 2019, *1952), as without his work my builds would not be possible.

Reply 2 of 4, by ragnar-gd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

have you tried all the scaling options in the nvidia control panel ?

Well, no, never thought about that, but i will, and report. Thank you for the tip!

My posts on the subject of W98SE legacy are dedicated to Rudolph Loew, (+11/ 2019, *1952), as without his work my builds would not be possible.

Reply 3 of 4, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ragnar-gd wrote:

Unfortunatly, the faster cards of the GeForce 7xxx and 6xxx series are always Dual-DVI...

Yeah, but those have analog pins as well, so you could use a DVI->VGA adapter if all else fails.

Reply 4 of 4, by ragnar-gd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pins... pins... well... unvoluntarily, you gave me one important hint:

I never checked to exchange both cable and card at the same time.

Now i found out a small part of a pin broke off and stuck in the port (no chance to get that out... 🙁((

But: Now that i exchanged both card and cable, i can use any game on dvi. Yay!!! 😀

Ok, pals, thanks a lot!!!

Cheers, Ragnar G.D.