VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ragnar-gd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

i own the "Empire Deluxe" windows version (also the dos version, but not using that one).

I can play single-player perfectly on any W9x or Windows XP Pro (didn't try on anything newer - guess it will work on any 32bit Windows, right?).

I used to play multi-player with a friend back in the days on Windows 3.11 for Workgroups via "Serial Crossover Cable" (tm).

Although i could buy the "enhanced" version from killerbees, i'd at least try to have it run in multiplayer mode, as that version is not exactly cheap.

Until now, i failed miserably:
- In W98SE, even though i installed IPX as primary protocol, it does not connect.
- a free version of a virtual serial port exists for XP, but connecting with it to another XP with the same virtual port did not work as well (perhaps it does not have "crossover"?)
- i installed WfW 3.11 with IPX in two virtual machines, but the games did not connect there, either.

Does/Did anyone own that game, and have it connect successfully?

Cheers, Ragnar G.D.

My posts on the subject of W98SE legacy are dedicated to Rudolph Loew, (+11/ 2019, *1952), as without his work my builds would not be possible.