VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DonR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe some of you guys can tell me if I’m beating a dead horse... Long ago I wrote some interface programs in Quick Basic (yes, that long ago) that sent a short data string, about 20 bytes or so, out serial port 1 or 2 (user selectable) so that it could be read by some other micro devices. The whole set-up was very simple; 8-N-1, 9600 baud with no handshaking. I was asked if the stuff could run on a newer Windows machine. I saw 2 problems: running an old DOS program in Windows and dealing with the absence of a serial port on a newer machine.

There seemed to be two possible solutions. I recalled some gamers using DosBox to run old games, looked online and found you guys and DosBox0.74. I installed DosBox and my application seemed to run fine. I then attached a USB to serial adapter to a USB port and tried to send a string with no good result - actually no result at all. I checked the set-up for the port to make sure it was the port number I had selected and was 8-N-1, 9600. I checked Device Manager and saw that supposedly the hardware was working fine. I tried to send data with and without hand-shaking, and also tried changing from port #1 to port #2. Finally I tried variations of the above using a null-modem adapter; still no go. As a last resort I tried using another Windows Machine: a desktop instead of a laptop, but both using Windows 7 as an operating system. Made no difference.

I got another computer and used a serial port utility program, COM-DEBUG, to see if I could send and receive a string using the USB port adapter. I could read what I sent from one computer to another by putting a test string into COM-DEBUG, but I couldn’t read a string sent from my application running in DosBox.

Can anybody tell me if I’m trying to do something impossible with DosBox or if I’m just missing a necessary piece of the puzzle? Thanks in advance for any attention you can give me.

Don Recklies

Reply 1 of 2, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

This question should be in the DOSBox forums.

Also, read this first:

DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION

Only suggestion I can give is to try an SVN build:

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2 of 2, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you configure DOSBox to route one of its emulated serial ports through the "real" serial port on your host PC, provided by your USB device? Not sure what the defaults are but for me both emulated serial ports are set to "dummy", which means DOS programs think they are present but the data goes nowhere.