VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know whether these two issues are somehow related or not, but they both appeared after I updated my Windows 10 to Threshold Wave 2 (ver. 1511, compilation 10586.11).

1. Colin McRae Rally 2 doesn't work with wrappers. I've tried dgVoodoo 2 and WineD3D and the game immediately crashes when I try to start it. When I get rid of the wrappers, it runs fine, but the problem is - I need to use a wrapper due to a Windows 10 bug (if you have a laptop with Nvidia Optimus and you try to run a game that uses DX1-8, it always runs on Intel GPU, which has very lousy performance). So far, this is the only game affected; I've also tried Midtown Madness 2, King of the Road and Driver, they run fine with dgVoodoo 2.

2. I can't change graphics settings in neither NFSU2 nor NFSMW2005. When I try to do that, the games freeze. For MW2005, setting the game to Win7 compatibility mode helps. I thought it might be related to files or registry privileges, but after experimenting with them, nothing changed.

3. Test Drive Unlimited 2 occasionally cannot read my saved game. When I restore it from a backup, everything goes back to normal... for some time. And once I get into the game, I can't change graphics settings.

Any ideas? I really don't want to reinstall Windows...

EDIT: These problems exist also on administrator account. Running the games as an administrator within my default account doesn't help.
EDIT2: I've checked Most Wanted on another laptop with Win10 Threshold 2, and the problem doesn't exist there.
EDIT3: This has something to do with Nvidia GT755M. When I run the games on Intel, I can adjust the settings just fine. Downgrading Nvidia drivers didn't help.

Reply 3 of 6, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How exactly do I disable it? And by the way, the bug doesn't affect just wrappers, I literally can't change graphics settings in any game I try (NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 for example). No matter what game I try, it always freezes.

Reply 6 of 6, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tgomola wrote:

1. Colin McRae Rally 2 doesn't work with wrappers. I've tried dgVoodoo 2 and WineD3D and the game immediately crashes when I try to start it. When I get rid of the wrappers, it runs fine, but the problem is - I need to use a wrapper due to a Windows 10 bug (if you have a laptop with Nvidia Optimus and you try to run a game that uses DX1-8, it always runs on Intel GPU, which has very lousy performance). So far, this is the only game affected; I've also tried Midtown Madness 2, King of the Road and Driver, they run fine with dgVoodoo 2.

So Optimus works if you use wrappers? Not too long ago I saw someone claim the opposite, saying there's no way to use it with old games.

Disabling the integrated GraphicsCard will not work on Optimus based notebooks. This has something todo with the way the graphic […]
Show full quote

Disabling the integrated GraphicsCard will not work on Optimus based notebooks. This has something todo with the way the graphic adapters are connected. The dedicated Graphics Card is not connected directly to the board but is connected to the integrated Graphic device. Even when running programms that are using the dedicated card, the signal is always passed through the integrated card before sending it to the screen...
Thats why disabling it in the device manager is no solution. You just make the whole system use the base windows driver and no card anymore... There is no Workaround therefore - at least not on Optimus based Notebooks. For other setups with an internal and a dedicated card (e.g. AMD) there are ways but not on Nvidia Optimus.. So its a technical restriction..

The reason why Gothic will not make use of the dedicated card has something to do with the directx version it uses. Nvidia Optimus only recognizes games with a directx Version >= 8 ( or even 9 im not completely sure). As Gothic is DirectX7 it will not be recognized by Optimus and therefore will always use the internal graphic adapter. Also, using some wrappers (there are some OpenGL wrappers and lately even a Directx11 wrapper available that really enhance the overall graphics) wont help as the game is still based on DX7, Nvidia Optimus won't kick in and use the
Dedicated card. Sorry, but there is no way to make it work.