VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am sorry to make this my first post in a while. Over the last year I have been running various benchmarks on my Asus P3B-F based system. I am currently trying to run all of my 1999-2000 video cards through Q3Bench and for some reason one of them, the Geforce 256, just won't finish the benchmark. I have two cards and they both quit at the same time. The program just quits to the desktop every time. I have no problem even with the Riva TNT, but this supposed monster card crashes. I am wondering if anybody else has had this problem. Initially I thought it was supposed to close to the desktop, but then I can't find any benchmark file anywhere on the drive.

I have tried all of the usual uninstall and reinstall Quake III, Q3 Bench and Nvidia drivers. Quake III itself doesn't seem to crash. What I have not attempted yet is to remove the disabled Matrox Mystique, m3D and Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 that are installed in the system currently. I was hoping I could change the AGP card out and switch back and forth without physically removing the rest.

System Specs:
Asus P3B-F
Celeron 300A
320MB PC100
Geforce 256
(Disabled Matrox Mystique 8MB, m3D, Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo)
Creative Awe 64 Gold
Windows 98 SE (unofficial final service pack)

Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 4, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry? I thought Quake 3 Arena was a Windows game. I'm running 98SE.

-edit-

That makes a lot more sense. I've been wondering why this sub forum was all about running old games on modern platforms for a while. I figured it was just the times a changing.

I don't seem to have the rights to delete the thread, sorry all.

Reply 3 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is Q3Bench?

I just use the built-in time demos that come with the game.

Also try a different driver version, that can sometimes fix things.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 4, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Q3Bench is, as as I know, the equivalent of Quake 2's Crusher and Massive benchmarks. I need to swap cards out and see if any of the others will run it without crashing. I know I got the Riva TNT to run it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGwjEjTKppE

Yeah, I was about to look for other Geforce 256 drivers to try, I am pretty certain that I was running the final drivers. I wish search engines made it easier to look at older forum posts or posts from now defunct forums.

-edit-

I went ahead and just ran the Timedemo on the two maps, I can't get Q3bench to finish and leave a log file on any settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2gEPtLpITg