VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So ive tried to get Codename 47 running on a Windows 2000 machine, and for whatever reason , the music doesn't play in any of the menus or missions, while the sound effects/voices do.

Weirder still , it only affects the Sound Blaster Live. Ive tried this on multiple chipsets (440BX , KT133, i815E , i820) and its always the same, changing the version of DirectX also doesnt seem to affect it (by default its using 8.1 , but Ive tried 7 and 9 too), and obviously the CD cable is connected to the sound card.

Ive also tried messing around with the sound options in the game ,turning EAX/Hardware mode off and on , with no changes.

I could use Windows 98 if I must , but for games from this era , I prefer using Win2K if possible (much more stable too) , so has anyone encountered such a problem? any possible solutions?

Thanks in advance

Reply 3 of 12, by bakcom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SBLive as opposed to what?

If the game uses CD/A for music, do you have other optical drives installed? If so, see if you can define the drive in Windows as the "default", in one of the audio setting windows.

Reply 4 of 12, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakcom wrote:

SBLive as opposed to what?

If the game uses CD/A for music, do you have other optical drives installed? If so, see if you can define the drive in Windows as the "default", in one of the audio setting windows.

only one CD drive, so thats not it.

Reply 6 of 12, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakcom wrote:

If I recall correctly, there's a way to tell Windows to use either digital audio extraction for CD/A tracks or analog output. Did you try both?

Also, why use a physical CD and not a CD image?

yes I did.

Im not going to start storing CD images on an old computer, wouldnt really change much really.

Reply 8 of 12, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Codename 47 doesn't use Redbook audio.

It uses DirectMusic with custom .DLS banks. It depends on Microsoft Synthesizer being the default DirectMusic device. As far as I know I don't know of any way of overriding that default.

Though you should figure out and see if somehow it's trying to use your SB Live!'s MIDI (which doesn't support .DLS *at all*), which would result in silence.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 9 of 12, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

success , I managed to get it working.

the SBLive does indeed force the computer to use its own MIDI route, ( SBLive! Synth A/B), the only way to fix that it seems was to go to the "Music" tab in DirectX and disabling the "Default Port Acceleration" option.

that fixes it.

Reply 11 of 12, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This begs me to ask the question. Was there really *anything* hardware related that could accept .DLS banks and act as a "hardware mixer" for DirectMusic purposes?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 12, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakcom wrote:

Hah. Darkman implied all along that it uses CD/A. 😀

actually I didnt really imply anything, as I wasnt quite sure what the problem was 😀

DracoNihil wrote:

This begs me to ask the question. Was there really *anything* hardware related that could accept .DLS banks and act as a "hardware mixer" for DirectMusic purposes?

not with the SBLive it seems, the game will run fine with the SB Audigy for instance, so Im not sure whats going on there.