VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a few games that will not install on windows 2000, the installers state that I need windows 95 and that I'm using windows NT when the installer starts.

The games are command and conquer, command and conquer tiberian sun and mechwarrior 2.
I tried compatibility mode but that does not work. Anyone have any ideas?

I am aware mechwarrior 2 will not run on windows 2000, and I know of the patches for it.

Reply 2 of 8, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

no offense,as nice had that spreadsheet is (nice enough that I downloaded it), it does not help me in this situation. Also I'm guessing that U stands for untested and the Y means Yes. is that correct?

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you mean you don't have the compatibility mode option because you haven't registered the dll or that you do have compatibility mode but the installer isn't registering it?

I can confirm that compatibility mode did work on the installer for this game.

IIRC the 97/98 C&C CD doesn't require compatibility mode. (Check the file dates on the CD). This is the ver that EA released free a couple of years back.

I don't have the game in front of me right now but easiest way to install if you have the old ver is to install on a modern OS or in a VM and copy over the files.

You can also try this: (I've never used it)
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/

It may also be possible to extract the files. If it's installshield then a installshield extractor should work.

Another possibility: https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

Mechwarrior 2
Use DOSBox for the DOS version.
IIRC, the game does work in NTVDM but you may need NOLFB.

If you must play the Windows ver then MW2Hook should work and if you have the Titanium ver you'll also need DGVoodoo. (old ver of DGvoodoo not the new ver 🙁 )

Yes, U untested, N Not working, Y, working, P Problem, Purple is emulator or port.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't the Win2k compatibility tab only show for shortcuts and not for the EXEs themselves?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 8, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

Didn't the Win2k compatibility tab only show for shortcuts and not for the EXEs themselves?

I thought so too.
I have compatibly mode on and the games still say I'm using Windows NT. I tried both 95 and 98 compatibly mode.
My copy's of c&c are the Westwood copy's and the dates on the disk are 95/96

Reply 8 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suggested an older version since newer ones might not even install on Win2k and you are trying to make it run with the APIs of such an old version of Windows. You do not have to deal with the API changes of Win10.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers