VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

So, just like my previous thread about using my old Toshiba Satellite laptop a a gaming machine, I am now asking for suggestions for games that can be played in a low power windows 98 machine. (pentium 133mhz non-mmx, 64mbs ram, 2mbs graphics card).
I am using a 98micro installation, so the OS is really leaving the machine resources to the games/programs.

So far I have chosen games like Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Battle Arena Toshiden (Dos game, but good under windows too), Need for Speed.
I am looking for games that can be fun to play either alone or with a group of friends.

1. Vs or Co-Op games. The ones described above are nice examples. Any shooters that are possible to play "split screen" kinda like GoldenEye in N64?
2. Karaoke games. I have only found karaoke programs, not really games. Any suggestions?
3. Webcam games. Not really sure it will be possible to find nice games, but would be nice 😀 Think like substituting Wii 🤣.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 12, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if a non-MMX Pentium 133 can run most of the Sega PC games but Virtual On is a great conversion. Depending on what kind of video card you have in there stuff like Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtual On might run at a decent pace. From what I remember you really needed a Pentium 1 with MMX minimum to run these well, but the right video card might solve that problem. Don't forget that the Daytona games and Sega Rally came out for PC as did Sonic R and several Sonic Genesis collections. Really, the most cross overs are going to be racers and most PC racers don't have multiplayer.

Destruction Derby 1 & 2 ran on my original Cyrix 166Mhz and Matrox Mystique 4MB. Those can be good multiplayer fun and there is even an enhanced version of DD2 for the Mystique. Blood Omen Legacy of Kain is on PC. I always read good things about Crusader No Remorse. Die Hard Trilogy is generally considered good. Descent, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and Quake were popular on PC first. Fade to Black was on PC first. Psygnosis' Formula 1 is supposed to be very good, and don't forget Wipeout and Wipeout XL. The first two Need for Speed games ought to run.

For party games on a PC at this power level look no further than Atomic Bomberman and the Worms games. If any version of Death Tank runs on PC try it as well. I'll keep digging for more games but I think this will be the cream of the crop for games that weren't first on PC anyway.

Reply 2 of 12, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Since your Toshiba Satellite 220cs laptop has integrated C&T video with no 3D capabilities and a Pentium 133 (with no possibility to upgrade them), any game suggestions will have to be kept on the light side of hardware requirements - most likely from late 80's to mid 90's (maybe as late as 1997). Anything later will probably overwhelm it.

With that in mind, here are a few games that might work well:

Grand Theft Auto (aka GTA)
Road Rash
MegaRace (DOS)
Interstate '76
Death Rally

The only split screen game I know of is Wacky Wheels (DOS); looks more like a kiddie game but has some interesting multiplayer options.

I'm not aware of any karaoke games for Pentium 1 PCs, and all the ones I find (like SingSong Karaoke and Ultrastar Deluxe) are made for current PCs.

Of course, most (if not all) DOS games suggested in your previous thread should work as well in Windows 98.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 12, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the Dos games are in my collection now too 😀

I have been able to play some games in 640x480 but yes, while some play perfect (Need for Speed doesn't even feels any different between resolutions) others play with lower fps or just plainly slow (Battle Arena Toshinden plays well but you notice a drop in fps, Virtua Fighter and Virtua Cop I have to lower other quality settings if I want 640x480, otherwise I have to select 320x240 in that case I can use full quality settings).
I wonder if there is any gain in installing the Toshiba drivers for the graphics card? Since it is not a 3d card, I don't think it will help, I am afraid it will bloat the registry and make the machine slower... Any ideas?

Other than that, I am dying to try out Wipeout 😁
Screamer also has split screen multiplayer, gonna try that one out. Worms feels like it requires some "learning" to play, not ideal for a "play once with some friends at a party" thing.
Right now I am doing the best with what I have available, can't afford to spend any money right now on this. But if/when things get better, I would maybe think of buying a couple light guns to play virtua cop 😀

I I can make a question, since the machine can emulate Nes, Master System, Snes and Mega Drive, were any games built for those that are more of a "party theme" to it?

Thanks!
When I get some perception of what games work better or not on this I hope to give you feedback 😀

Reply 4 of 12, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Worms 1 & 2 ought to be easy for anybody to pick up and play. If you can get Armageddon and World Party to work they have all kinds of modes that even the least savvy non-gamer can get into (press a button, watch mayhem and huge explosions happen). I consider any 2-Playerr Beat-em up a Party game. So, Streets of Rage 1-3, especially part 2, Double Dragon (Genesis or Master System), TMNT (Genesis or SNES), Golden Axe 1-3, Captain America and the Avengers (Genesis), Alien Storm, The Punisher, I could go on but no.

Don't forget Two Crude Dudes or Altered Beast for more button masher friendly side scrolling "brawlers". Bad Dudes on NES also. Rampage on Master System or NES is good, it is better on Master System.

Stuff like Toejam and Earl and Zombies ate My Neighbors would qualify too. Ms Pacman on Genesis has a two player and turbo mode. Life Force on NES is a must. Vapor Trail on Genesis has a two player mode also. Herzog Zwei is also a must even though it does have a learning curve, it is probably only for gamers though. Road Rash 2 and 3 are perfect, as is Skitchen. Contra III, Contra Hard Corps, and Gunstar Heroes ought to amuse most folks but are all probably too challenging.

That's all I can think of off hand.

Reply 5 of 12, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One I have tried before and can be lots of fun: Zombies Ate My Neighbors. It's a nice game to play with a girlfriend as it has no gore, and yet it is fun to play as you are basically killing dead people 😜
Think it's a snes only game.

Reply 6 of 12, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Zombies is on Genesis and SNES, most folks favor the SNES version, as usual. I haven't played either. Toejam & Earl is great fun with a second player, it lets you work cooperatively or explore separately split screen. It also has infinite levels through a random level generator mode.

I've seen point and click adventures treated as party games too. Everybody gets involved trying to solve the insane puzzles and people take turns trying.

Reply 7 of 12, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any particular point and click games you think would be suitable for this?
I have been thinking about those "FMV games" where you are basically watching a movie and you must take certain decisions that will affect the outcome. But find them to be either too low quality or too heavy on resources. Also they are limited to a couple of games, (unless someone knows more games and could suggest, have only found the Dracula and Sherlock Holmes ones).

I'm having a big problem now: Need For Speed used to play perfectly at 640x480 under Dos. Now in Windows 98 it seems to be very slow, as if the machine can't handle the graphics. In 320x240 plays ok. Is there any windows definition I have to change so it won't affect the game??
Thanks!

Reply 8 of 12, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was thinking of Myst, Sam N Max, Leisure Suit Larry, Maniac Mansion and whatever else. That hasn't ever really been my genre so I've only played each briefly. I beat Mansion of Hidden Souls on Sega CD and D on Saturn and saw the ending of Shadow Gate on NES once. 😉

I don't know about Need for Speed, for me EA games are notoriously poorly optimized. Even after I got over 1Ghz in CPU speed Hot Pursuit and High Stakes had massive framerate issues. I haven't installed the first one on any of my machines.

Reply 9 of 12, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pentium 133 came out in 95, 96/97 the last real year for dos games, past that is mostly re-releases, which means you should be able to play any dos game with reasonable performance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_video_games
http://www.mobygames.com/

dos multiplayer:
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/dos/tic,12/

windows multiplayer:
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/windows/tic,12/

w3x multiplayer:
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/win3x/tic,12/

Last edited by awgamer on 2015-12-20, 23:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 12, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratco wrote:

Any particular point and click games you think would be suitable for this?
I have been thinking about those "FMV games" where you are basically watching a movie and you must take certain decisions that will affect the outcome. But find them to be either too low quality or too heavy on resources. Also they are limited to a couple of games, (unless someone knows more games and could suggest, have only found the Dracula and Sherlock Holmes ones).

full throttle, sam & max, day of the tentacle, maybe indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, monkey island 2.

Reply 11 of 12, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The DoomLegacy port features a splitscreen mode: http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/

Liquid War is also a fun multiplayer game: http://www.ufoot.org/liquidwar/v5?lang=en

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 12 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Big Red Racing is a fun variety-filled splitscreen racer, that can be an option if you can tolerate the airy physics. The "edgy" JSJ/Lani-voicereel commentary can be turned off 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem