VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone asked in the Dos forum of a GUI game launcher for Dos. Personally I was using Xx (access). It was great. Too bad in Windows it doesn't seem to be working (most games crash opened there). Any game launcher / program launcher for Windows?
Please keep in mind my machine is an old laptop. Can't handle fancy 3d graphics.

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, in Windows you can just have a folder on your desktop with shortcuts/pifs to all of you games.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 13, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, you are right.

I am looking for something that doesn't show as a windows folder, but instead you have all icons / posters of the games and you can just click one and enter the game. Think like having an arcade with several different games and you pick one.
I would prefer something that doesn't use the mouse, but could work with the gamepad 😀

Reply 4 of 13, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

LaunchBox is pretty decent, I've been using it for several months. It has a lot of useful functions, like grouping your games based on the series they belong to. It can be used to launch both native Windows games as well as emulated ones.

Reply 5 of 13, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went through a bunch of these programs myself recently. I found XBMC and Advanced Launcher looked nicest, but was inflexible and no longer developed. Launchbox seems good, but puts a lot of functionality behind its paywall with no free trial.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 8 of 13, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BuckoA51 wrote:

Launchbox seems good, but puts a lot of functionality behind its paywall with no free trial.

It's not that bad. AFAIK paid version offers big picture mode and color customization, something that I don't need. I'm OK with the free version 😀 And yes, it's compatible with native Windows games, DOSBox and virtually any console emulator.

Reply 9 of 13, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried several and launchbox is in the best of breed tier, there are a couple of others, boxer that's only for osx and another which I don't remember the name of that's one of the listed frontends on the dosbox website that's now a dead link, it was the only comparable alternative to launchbox on windows. If I recall there might have been another one but again, dead link.

He does a little passive aggressive routine with defaulting graphic spacing on the large side with spacing adjustment behind his paywall, game manual access is behind his paywall as well, standard frontend functionality on all but his. If I recall correctly he may have made custom field additions limited as well, again, standard feature for everyone else. There's also some other fields behind the paywall like using steam graphics/field, but I'm not bothered by that, I don't really know the steam graphics enough to pine for them, I prefer using box, disk, maps, ads from magazines and box contents for graphics rather than custom present day stuff, my idea being the graphics on display represent/replicate what you would have seen back in the day and in use.

A distinguishing difference to me between best of breed and the rest is that content is the focus/front and center in the best of breed frontends while the frontend is front and center for the rest, contrast launchbox and boxer with d-fend and dosbox game launcher to see what I'm talking about.

Reply 11 of 13, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys.

So a quick update on my gaming machine.
Seeing as I couldn't find a game launcher that suited my needs and since most of my games are sega games that were available for saturn, I decided to "customize" the machine a little bit. I added the Sega Saturn boot up sound to windows start and the saturn screen as the wallpaper. Made the icons of the games "gigantic" in the desktop (used to have them in the start menu) and now I have it launching as a saturn console and just use the mouse to select the game I wanna play.
It's not perfect (can't use the joystick to select the games, have to use the mouse) but it's a lot of fun and some people are actually fooled thinking it's a modified saturn console 🤣

Any ideas how I could improve it?
Does anyone knows if windows 98/95 can use a gif as splash screen when the machine is booting??

Reply 12 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congratulations on being one of 3 people left in the world that make Win95 Plus! desktop themes

and no, win9X can only take a color-cycled 320x400x8 BMP. though maybe it could be possible to run some GRASP-based Saturn bios intro program in the autoexec sequence (theory, i've never tried such a thing). The real obstacle is grasping onto GRASP's scripting and creating that 😀

(or if you're really lazy, there is a DOS 'build' of mplayer out there, in which you could use to just run a saturn avi/mp4 or so.)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 13, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great! Who are the other 2? 😜
Well, too bad, I would like to have the animated intro when windows is booting but I won't be taking time and resources by loading mplayer in dos. I will just have the wallpaper and the intro sound then.
I will try to get a program that allows joystick to control the mouse and also some "segaish" cursor to replace the regular pointer of windows mouse.
Any suggestions?