VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I’ve got some strange issue that I’m eager to solve here.

I’ve got Windows 10 Tablet from China. It’s called Onda 919 Air CH. It’s based Intel Cherry Trail platform so it has Intel Atom x5-Z8300 CPU and Intel HD Graphics (GEN 😎.

Problem is, that some old games, when launched in fullscreen, starts half rotated, half off the screen:

ZJWySLswZLM.jpg

Only windowed mode helps:

zieIkzm5c74.jpg

But in this case, in some game, resolution is flexible and calculated based on size of your window, so when maximized it will be near native tablet resolution 2048 x 1536 which is too much and game lags.

The only half-solution i found is to set windows system resolution to 1024x768 and then run game in windowed mode and apply borderless application. In this case game will be fullscreen and in 1024x768. Problem is that some games won't work with this borderless application, Hitman Contracts is an example of such game.

Such rotation issue found it: Warcraft III, Hitman Contracts, Thief Deadly Shadows.

Reply 1 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I experienced something similar at my work. Had to setup an android emulator on a computer and the software auto rotated in the wrong direction when in fullscreen mode. Had to force the emulator to display a certain resolution to make it work.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 9, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

See if you can test it in Australia, if the games are upsidedown then it depends on the location you are. 😁

On a more serious note, I don't think it's caused by the games but that Windows sees them as phone applications, since I don't have this sort of hardware I don't really know how to solve this.
Maybe you can profile the videosettings for the application indendently.

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember having that issue on laptops that used a Intel video card. Unchecking the rotation checkbox in the graphics card program fixed it but that was before Intel made their program all fancy.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bump

Just wondering if anyone has run into this issue.

Mucking around with a tablet and I've noticed the same issue. It seems that DirectX 8 games are affected. For example 3DMark 2001 or Hitman 2. Whereas 3DMark03 works fine, and so do other games such as TA, Moto Racer and Moto Racer 2.

DOSBox also works fine 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could be a bug because of Windows 8/10's forced maximized window mode, try this:
Fullscreen mode in Direct3D8 games on Windows 10
dgVoodoo2 could also work, but maybe not on the terrible hardware tablets usually have.

Reply 6 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

Could be a bug because of Windows 8/10's forced maximized window mode, try this:
dgVoodoo2 could also work, but maybe not on the terrible hardware tablets usually have.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Reply 8 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lelasin wrote:

Have you tried to run in compatibility mode (WinXPsp1)?

Yes I have, and some other compatibility issues. It seems to be a common issue with Tablets. The rotation of the screen and how this is handled seems to be the issue, as notebooks with the same Atom CPU and Intel graphics don't have this issue.

Reply 9 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

Nailed it! That fixed the issue 😁

Just drop the .DLL into the game folder and all is good. Thank you very much!