VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried F1 97 using either the exe from the CD (the Glide f197w.exe version) or the "voodoo2 patch" version works any more. The game boots fine (with nGlide or dgVoodoo) but when you go to start a race in Arcade or Simulation mode it gets locked on an animated menu screen with text overlaid upon itself (or the rotating car selection screen in arcade mode).

F1 95 (just called Formula 1) works fine (not sure which of the many versions of that I'm using though).

Any ideas? Tried Win95 compatibility mode, same result. Direct3D version of the game works, but looks dreadful!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weirder still; in both places it used to freeze, it's not sliding through the cars available, as though you're holding down the right key. So it looks like a controller conflict. But I don't have any special controllers (or their software) installed currently! Even unplugging mouse and keyboard didn't solve it...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 11, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just tried this game on my computer (Win7).
Both D3D and Glide work fine.

Isn't it vJoy?
Similar that happened to me when I tried to test Pariah. As if somebody were continuously pressing the up arrow so my player was turning towards to the sky all the time. I had to disable vJoy in the device manager and all changed to fine.

Reply 4 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not using vJoy and have tried closing down all running things. I'll try again and maybe will check Process Monitor

Reply 5 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried a few things and no improvement. Then tried shift+restart and boot into Safe Mode and it works (using dgVoodoo at the mo), so that's a start...

Reply 6 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I discovered what causes it to lock up after the START button in Grand Prix mode (or when starting Arcade mode). It's my audio. If I go into Device Manager and disable "Sound Blaster Z" (I have a ZXr) then there's obviously no sound, but the game will work.

I tried enabled ALchemy, changing speaker settings (both in drivers and in game options), tried enabling/disabling other sound on my system (as I have internal audio plus NVIDIA 980 GTX audio listed) and none of that makes any difference. As soon as you disabled the Sound Blaster Z the game works!

If I run Creative Software AutoUpdate then it finds driver version 1.2.32 and says nothing better is available (driver-wise, there's some other recording software I don't want).

It's a bit weird...

Reply 7 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still suffering with this bug on the Glide version. If I have any sound sub system enabled it'll freeze at the same START point, I have to disable all in Windows to get it to go into the game.

I've tried every setting the Sound Blaster ZXr has, to no avail. I even plugged in external Corsair Vengeance 1500 headphones (with all other sound drivers disabled) and... it then locked up again!

I see Bambo had the same issue in 2009: Re: F1 '97 dgvoodoo

My only other options would be a virtual machine or run it on my old Pentium 4.

I need to run it for my YouTube channel F1 comparisons... these late 90s/early 2000s games seen to be the most buggy these days.

Reply 8 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh this makes no sense, booted up today and it works fine!

Reply 9 of 11, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i had these problems with F1 97 also and could not figure out what the issue was - i would play aroudn with some things and it would no longer happen - by and large the nglide path was always the less freeze prone - i think, if i recall right, a tsome point just making sure i had the actual cd in the drive ensured it didnt happen. i got a no-cd for it recently so i will have to see how that goes.

Reply 10 of 11, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't rely on AutoUpdate blindly. Always check on Creative's website for new software:
support.creative.com/Products/ProductDe ... tegoryID:1

Reply 11 of 11, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well i am back to having this game no longer working in glide - i dont understand why and what i need to do to fix it - so is it a sound related issue?