VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've recently setup The Suffering on my PC, patched it, also found hacked executable that gives some basic widescreen support (enables selection of any resolution, fixes field of view for wide resolutions).

This is one of those games that utilize DirectSound3D and EAX effects, so I also put Creative ALchemy's dsound.dll in the game's folder. Creative ALchemy is patched so it works with any sound card, I never owned any Creative sound card. This gives me nice positional audio in-game, but still no sign of any special sound effect. It's supposed to sound like this, you can hear reverb effect when people talk, I get nothing. Video shows PS2 version I think.

So I wonder, if anyone has any idea if it would be possible to get those effects to work somehow and also, if anyone ever played this game on some old Windows XP machine with appropriate sound card and if it worked there. I know The Suffering isn't officially supported by ALchemy, but neither are Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (EAX 3.0) and Drakan: Order of the Flame (EAX 1.0) and they both sound fine with ALchemy. Drakan actually uses the older incarnation of the Riot Engine, which also powers The Suffering.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2 of 2, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like the key to utilize ALchemy's full potential with onboard sound card is installing Host OpenAL implementation of OpenAL. Until now, I only had OpenAL Soft, which is pretty decent solution for newer native OpenAL games, but is not much of use to ALchemy. Recently, MST suggested it in this thread, so I googled for it, extracted it from some driver package, installed it, renamed Sens_oal.dll to ct_oal.dll, then used some license generator posted by mirh to make it work and voila, The Suffering sounds fantastic now. Drakan also sounds a lot better than it did before.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.