VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently set up my Voodoo2 SLI configuration in a new machine, and so far it's been running everything great. I'm only experiencing sound issues in one game: Half-Life (specifically the demo game Half-Life: Uplink). Other games that run fine include Unreal, Need for Speed 3, Diablo II, and a variety of 2d games. The specific problem is that sound effects play about 1 second after actions take place in the game.

I've tried with high-quality sound enabled and disabled, and with EAX enabled and disabled, and have restarted the game after each settings change. I've tried various resolutions in the 3DFX MiniGL renderer. None of these change the lag.

The installed driver is the only one Creative hosts for the Audigy LS in Windows 98SE, linked here: http://support.creative.com/downloads/downloa … DownloadId=7476 It does not seem to include any fancy configuration software or EAX control panel.

I've researched and discovered that the SB0310 does not do hardware-acceleration, so it won't perform as well as cards that do, but I'm not convinced that alone would cause this issue.

Any ideas to try? I can find lots of google hits for audio lag issues in Half-Life 2, but no luck for Half-Life 1. I've checked _snd_mixahead and it's set to the recommended 0.1.

System Specs:
800MHz Pentium III Coppermine
Asus CUSL2-C
2x256MB Crucial PC133
GeForce2 GTS AGP
2x 12MB Voodoo2 SLI
40GB Seagate Barracuda ATA
Thermaltake TR2 430w
Windows 98SE

Update: I've installed the full version of Half-Life and it still has the same issue.

Another update: In Half-Life, whether or not I have EAX checked, the console says "EAX initialization successful" upon loading a level. However, I just discovered this:

Under Multimedia in Control Panel, under Audio Playback, if I go to the advanced settings for the sound device and change hardware acceleration to anything but full, the game's behavior changes. It now says "No DirectSound driver found", and there is no longer any audio lag. Strangely, if I change the slider back to Full Acceleration, the game still says no DirectSound driver, and has no lag. Restarting the machine resets it to saying "EAX initialization successful", and the lag returns.

Should I play it like this, with acceleration turned down? I certainly would like EAX if possible; since the card doesn't have any actual hardware acceleration, would doing this sound any worse than if it were running correctly with EAX off?

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 1 of 3, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad drivers maybe? You'll need Full Acceleration to avoid audio lag on any game because anything but that incurs a massive software audio buffer, way more than what's really needed to prevent underruns on a fast system...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 3, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

Bad drivers maybe? You'll need Full Acceleration to avoid audio lag on any game because anything but that incurs a massive software audio buffer, way more than what's really needed to prevent underruns on a fast system...

Just to clarify, you're saying I need the Full Acceleration setting in the control panel to avoid lag, right? Does it make much difference if the card itself doesn't support hardware acceleration? I know it will make some difference of course, but would that be enough to cause this issue?

I'll try some different drivers when I get home tonight (if I can find any) and report back. I may also just try some different sound cards. I have a spare Audigy 2 ZS that I was saving for another machine... I also have an Audigy SE which is similar to this LS in that it doesn't do hardware acceleration, and I may have a Live! or two sitting around somewhere as well.

I'm only using this Audigy LS because it came with this motherboard, and I assumed it would be like a Live! but with slightly newer EAX support. Now I'm finding out that not only does it not do hardware acceleration (like the SE), but that some models of the Live! don't either (the Live 24-bit and the Dell OEM versions, for example)... God knows if I have those versions in any of my other machines 😵 I usually put Lives in most of my retro machines because they're so cheap and plentiful, and have Audigy2 ZS cards in my XP machines. Never paid attention to which versions of the Live! I was buying.

I'm beginning to hate Creative. It's like the SoundBlaster/Vibra 16 issue all over again. Fifty million different versions with the same name, half of which are crap 🤣

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 3 of 3, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't worry about the acceleration; your sound quality shouldn't suffer (unless you need 3d positional sound). Basic means software buffered DirectSound only, Standard is pretty much the same, but I think it allows DirectSound 3D in software, and Full is hardware accelerated 3D and hardware mixing if it's supported.

I ran a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and Audigy 2 SE under 98/ME for a while. To get around various problems, I pretty much ran Basic all the time. Neither had great 3d positional and the sound quality was cleaner anyway.

I did run into an issue with HL years back exactly like you describe; but it wasn't the soundcard in my instance. Of all the goddamn things, it was the PS/2 controller built into the motherboard on my NForce 2 board. WTF? Switching to a USB keyboard fixed the issue. I suspect it was somehow hogging a system resource that interfered with the soundcard.