Common searches

South Park

Topic actions

First post, by Dybdal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone!

Hope I'm not intruding on your forum but I've got a tough nut to crack and I've hit a wall in trying to make it work and it's South Park from Acclaim.
Systems I've tried the game on are Windows 7 64bit , Windows 95 running though DosBox Daum and Windows 98SE running though DosBox Daum.

In Windows 7 the game will install just fine and the menu will recognize that the game has been installed (leaving me with the option to play). When you run the exe, the game however will turn the mouse cursor to a loading one for a brief second before returning to a normal one. The game window never pops up and there is no running process.

In the two DosBox machines I've managed to get the game to somewhat work in Windows 95 & Windows 98 running with a ISO but the menu will not recognize that the game has been installed after the fact (the play button remains an install one) The same behavior as Windows 7 is present when you try to run the game here (it will not load) but that is somewhat fixable with a cracked exe. Doing so makes the game run but the music is absent detracting from the experience.

So this is the wall I've hit, I'm sure the game has the capability to run in Windows 7 based on the fact that I know it's running the same engine as Turok 2 and that game loads and runs perfectly on my machine, after fiddling with it in short spurts for 2 years now I'm getting more confident it's either Copy Protection related or an error in regedit somewhere either not pointing the correct drive letter or something of that like.
In regards to making it run with music from DosBox, I also don't know what I can do to fix that issue.

I know that the game runs though WINE but being an absolute idiot with computers, installing Ubuntu or any Linux OS without destroying something in the process is highly unlikely in my case.

*edit* for additional motivation, I guess, here's a fun fact... of first-person shooters from the 90's (excluding obscure titles), this game is the only one that won't run on a modern Windows system with full functionality and I'm quite sure anyone who could provide a way for it to happen would not only make me absolutely happy beyond belief but quite a few other people as well.

Reply 2 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

South Park is protected by Securom 1.x (at least my cd-image is) so it needs the AddWritePermissionsToDeviceFiles ACT fix.
Dunno about Win7, I still use WinXp for my retro and everyday rigs.

P.S. The game supports the glide API (with some tweaking) so you can play it on any DX9 compatible hardware through nGlide.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 6, by Dybdal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ZellSF are you saying the game works for you on Windows7 64bit? if thats the case, then my CD is prob not busted. im very interested in knowing exactly what OS your using.

@Gamecollector could you be more specific about your fix? what exactly do i need to do to apply it to the game? and i can attempt it on my rig to see if it does anything.

Reply 4 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dybdal wrote:

@ZellSF are you saying the game works for you on Windows7 64bit? if thats the case, then my CD is prob not busted. im very interested in knowing exactly what OS your using.

Win10 64bit. Only difference to Win7 should be rendering related (not CDDA playback related, not copy protection related).

As for getting rendering working right, assuming that's your problem (and not a bad copy, of which there are plenty) then read its note in nGlide's compatibility list. That will also do what Gamecollector is talking about.