VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CletusSpuckler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This post is about video ram. Not system ram. I have a GeForce 6800GT with 256MB of vram on an Intel D865GLC 3.4ghz nothwood with 1GB DDR (patched). I was wondering if this card will be slower than a 128MB 6800 when playing DOS games? Because of the larger RAM for smaller textures to be looked through. Has anyone played DOS games on a 256MB 6800 and how stable are they for Windows games?

Reply 4 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You mean like Quake3 and almost everything else on id Tech 3 at the time? They'll work fine and work fine on a newer card

it's those picky games that report the video memory badly (to the point of "omg u have -1mb!!! no game for you")you've got to watch out for

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Happy owner of a 512MB GeForce 6200 + 3.8Ghz P4 + cheapo asrock mobo rig with Windows ME running on top (which combination happens to work exceptionally well because of broad driver compatibility). No problems whatsoever with any Direct3D/OpenGL game I've thrown at it, only VESA doesn't perform very well after 640x480 (bottom of the display flashing continually, as with some other cards)

6800's specifically? consider we're talking PCIE/AGP bridges which should be no issue at all, 9X or not (theoretically), but never tested this myself and I wouldn't honestly know what to expect.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9