VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've installed Windows 3.1 on one of my Retro Machine's compact flash cards, and I am running into a strange issue: I can't seem to convert any of my desktop wallpapers to a BMP file that is compatible with Windows 3.1!

I've done a bit of research, and found out that there have been several different revisions of the BMP file format, but I'm using a tool (imagemagick) that is supposed to be able to handle this. E.g. "convert image.jpg -format bmp3 image.bmp".

I know that Windows 3.1 only supports 4, 8 or 24-bit color images, but I have tested both 24 and 8 bit images without any success.

Is anyone else doing this, and have you found something that works?

Reply 1 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like a Imagemagick bug which i'm not really surprised given how bloaty and regressive that thing is

I'd suggest converting your pictures with something else, like say Irfanview, ACDSEE, Pain Shop Pro, Microsoft Pain, etc.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Pain Shop Pro, Microsoft Pain, etc.

Was that intentional?

Because if it was I guess I can see that.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trivia: For legacy-compatibility reasons, Microsoft Paint can be started on all recent versions of Windows not only as "mspaint" but also as "pbrush".

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 10, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

win 3.x paint brush did have a useful feature (for me, subjectively speaking) that conveniently omitted since win95 mspaint.
i remember I have to copy to win3.x pbrush to win95 because of it.

-fffuuu

Reply 10 of 10, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I actually figured out the problem with imagemagick. Instead of:

convert image.jpg -format bmp3 image.bmp

I should have been doing

convert image.jpg BMP3:image.bmp

Thanks for the suggestions though 😀