VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the GOG.com version. It acts as if the joystick is not plugged in at all. Relevant info:
Thrustmaster T.16000M
Windows XP sees the joystick in Control Panel->Game Controllers and it's fully functional and calibrate-able.
The joystick works fine in the other Wing Commanders--both the older WCs in DOSBox and the newer Wing Commander (Prophecy).

So if I start a new game of WC4, I skip past the cutscenes, get to the initial flight scene where Maniac challenges you, and enter the Options screen (Alt-O). I select Joystick, click Save and exit--no joystick. Go back into Options and Joystick is de-selected. Click the Calibrate button and nothing happens (it does not go to a calibrate screen). I also tried the keyboard shortcuts CTRL-J (enable joystick) and ALT-C (calibrate joystick). Neither work.

Does anyone have WC4 and the T16000M and can check for me if it works? I don't know if my OS is relevant (WinXP), but if you happen to have XP, a T16000M and the GOG version of WC4, I'd appreciate if you can let me know if it works for you.

Thanks for reading.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay this is weird. I actually bought a T.16000M last year and Wing Commander 4 was the first game I played through. It was the GOG version and it was under Windows 8.1. I seem to remember some sort of issue like the one you're describing, have you tried looking at the GOG forums for similar problems?

Reply 3 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
teleguy wrote:

Ha! That was it. Thanks, teleguy and F2bnp.

Reply 4 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, was searching the GOG forums and someone suggested doing that. Was about to post here, but teleguy beat me to the punch 😁.

Have fun playing the greatest Wing Commander game, I had an absolute blast playing it and the T.16000M is a fantastic joystick to be using!

Reply 5 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking forward to it! I have to get through WC3 first, though. Finished WC1 about a month ago and just beat WC2 yesterday.

Reply 6 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have the T.16000, great stick 😀

Did you try the secret missions? I found them too hard and gave up after a while 😒

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I also have the T.16000, great stick 😀

Did you try the secret missions? I found them too hard and gave up after a while 😒

The T16000 is on my XP machine, so I haven't used it so far on the WC's (when I finish WC3, I'll have to use it for WC4 and Prophecy). I'm using an old-fashioned Mach I from CH Products. 🤣 I actually really like it as it fits easily in my hands...no need to have a flat spot to put it on.

I did try the secret missions. You are right, they are very hard. And I was so relieved to beat the main game that I wasn't motivated to try to beat the new missions. I wanted to move on to the next era of gaming tech. 😉